how do you add hoops - muslin bag or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassballboy

Reaction score
Hey all, I was discussing this with a friend. I add hoops in bags, then remove them after chilling. He adds them directly to the pot and obviously just leaves them in until he transfers to the secondary.

Which way is normal? Does it matter?

Hey all, I was discussing this with a friend. I add hoops in bags, then remove them after chilling. He adds them directly to the pot and obviously just leaves them in until he transfers to the secondary.

Which way is normal? Does it matter?

Either way is fine. It doesn't matter. If you use bags, that's fine- as long as they are "loose" in there and not compacted. If they are packed too tight, you lose some utilization. If not, then it doesn't matter a bit.

I rarely use bags. The hops debris will settle to the bottom with the break material and yeast as trub in the end anyway.

Just drop my pellet hops in loose, and use a mesh strainer to strain them when I transfer to my Fermenting bucket.

I always just added them to the boil until this past weekend. I used a couple of hop bags. I really liked how much less trub was left in the bottom of the boil, and this is with full volume BIAB. I ended up with to much wort by about 1/2 gal. I'm using the bags for now on and just reducing my initial water volume by 1/2 gal.

Man, this is one of the biggest issues I faced when I upgraded my system by adding valves and pumps! Before, I tossed em in 5 gal paint strainers during the boil and poured the wort through another as I transferred to the fermenter to catch any break material and hops that got free. I got tired of back aches from lifting and pouring big ass pots of hot wort! Once I added a valve and a diptube clogging became a huge problem. I tried stainless scrubbies on the end of the diptube whirlpooling, kettle screen...I finally broke down and bought a stainless hop spider from stainless brewing and couldn't be happier!

Doesn't that strain out Irish moss too though?

Well, Irish moss coagulates proteins so they fall out as bigger globs. It doesn't stay in the wort and do anything after the boil. It means a clearer beer in the end, because it causes clarity by the effect on the wort during the boil.

I use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag and add each hop addition at the prescribed time. I remove the bag during chilling. I put the Irish Moss directly in the wort though, when I use it.

Back