How do u pitch two different yeasts for one beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdrillo

Reaction score
I am looking to make a Flemish Sour and the recipe requires fermenting with two types of yeast; a Belgian Ardennes WYeast and a Belgian Lambic Blend.

What is the best way to pitch these yeasts? Simultaneously in the same carboy? Or I've seen it done where the wort was split among two carboys and each pitched with a separate yeast. From there it seemed the fermenting carboys were combined after a few days of fermenting separately.

Is there a specific method that should be used to pitching two yeasts?

A Flemish sour might do better with the Roeselare blend, not the lambic blend. Was the recipe from a time before the Roeselare became a year round blend?

Should you choose to go ahead with the recipe as is, I'd say it depends upon how sour you want it. Just a bit? Pitch the Ardennes first, then the lambic some days later. Medium sour? Pitch both together. Full on sour? Pitch just the lambic, plus extra dregs from commercial bottles of Flanders beers, if you have them.

GuldTuborg said:
A Flemish sour might do better with the Roeselare blend, not the lambic blend. Was the recipe from a time before the Roeselare became a year round blend?

Should you choose to go ahead with the recipe as is, I'd say it depends upon how sour you want it. Just a bit? Pitch the Ardennes first, then the lambic some days later. Medium sour? Pitch both together. Full on sour? Pitch just the lambic, plus extra dregs from commercial bottles of Flanders beers, if you have them.

Thanks! I'll have to look into the Roeselare Blend as an alternative. Great feedback.

No problem. Good luck with the sours, they're a real adventure to brew. Out of curiosity, are you making a red or a brown?

Going to give the brown a try. Should be a good while before I know if I got it right.

We accidentally made a starter from some us 04 slurry and hefe yeast. Realized it as I dumped it in to the flask but it came out amazing. Took an honorable mention in the Michigan brew cup. Try it out and see what happens!

Go to thebrewingnetwork.com and look for The Jamil Show. In his original style show, he dedicated one full show to each of the BJCP categories. Download and listen to his shows on Flanders Red and Old Bruin. I can't remember which show, but in one of them he discusses the pros and cons of pitching a sour yeast only vs. fermenting with a straight ale yeast the pitching the sour culture vs. putting it all into your wort at once and letting them sort it out.

He won't tell you which one is best. He'll tell you what he does, then tell you what you should expect from each method.

winvarin said:
Go to thebrewingnetwork.com and look for The Jamil Show. In his original style show, he dedicated one full show to each of the BJCP categories. Download and listen to his shows on Flanders Red and Old Bruin. I can't remember which show, but in one of them he discusses the pros and cons of pitching a sour yeast only vs. fermenting with a straight ale yeast the pitching the sour culture vs. putting it all into your wort at once and letting them sort it out.

He won't tell you which one is best. He'll tell you what he does, then tell you what you should expect from each method.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks all! This forum is a hell of a resource.

Latest posts

Back