How do u clean a keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendog15

Reaction score
Just picked up a keg for my new boil kettle and cut off the top, got it fitted with a thermometer and ball valve.

The inside has a lot of junk caked to the walls. Any advice on how to get this off? I normally use oxyclean to clean my brewing equipment, but it's just not doin the trick. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409003226.738160.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1409003264.856748.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ditto,

BKF mixed with hot water....and a scotch brite green scrubby.

Where chemical gloves, and don't breathe from inside the keg.

From then on, I fill the keg after a brew session with water/oxyclean and run the pump to circulate it for a while while I clean other stuff. Quick scrub on the inside and pump everything out to the driveway....rinse with water. Then the used sanitizer from the buckets...recirculate pump for a minute or so and then pump the sanitizer out to the driveway. Open everything up and flip it upside down to dry.

I soaked mine for a couple days with 1Step and that got mine mostly clean. Scrubbed it a couple more times with Barkeepers friend and got the rest of it off.

I would heat up some PBW and let it soak for an hour or so. All of that should then come off with a light scrub (or even on its own)

For your initial cleaning. Hot PBW or a good caustic to clean all the crap up. After that, green pad and dish soap with a good rinse. About once a year or so you'll want to do a caustic cycle again to get all the beer stone.

There's never a good reason to sanitize anything on the hot side before storing, or before brewing.

Bar keepers friend.

In the cleaning aisle next to the comet. Home depot, lowes, walmart, most grocery stores

+1 the stuff works great.

Ditto,

BKF mixed with hot water....and a scotch brite green scrubby.

Where chemical gloves, and don't breathe from inside the keg.

From then on, I fill the keg after a brew session with water/oxyclean and run the pump to circulate it for a while while I clean other stuff. Quick scrub on the inside and pump everything out to the driveway....rinse with water. Then the used sanitizer from the buckets...recirculate pump for a minute or so and then pump the sanitizer out to the driveway. Open everything up and flip it upside down to dry.

Pretty much what I do but I use a SS scrubby thing and I skip the sanitizer recirc part.

Also, after scrubbing with BKF, rinse the stuff down while wiping with a rag or sponge. BKF leaves behind a light film of residue that needs to be 'wiped' off.

Back