How do these look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These plants are one month and a day today and since I'm new at growing hops, can I get some input on them?
They seem kinda "spindly" to me esp. the Cascade. I've added fish fertilizer a couple of times and they got a nice bump, but nothing major.
They're on a drip system that gets 60 min every morning except when it rains...
Can I get some input as its already almost August and they're only 5' tall...
FYI, these were planted as a plant, not a rhizome...

both_day1.jpg

both.jpg

cascade.jpg

chinook.jpg

Looks like a typical first year plant, mine look the same the few times I have started rhizomes.

Anderhoff.blogspot.com

The real question I have is, were those plants just a started rhizome inna pot, or were they a second year plant? Or a first year plant from a cutting that was rooted?

If they were anything other than an established crown in a very large pot, that would explain things well enough.

How big was the pot it came in, and what source? If it came in, say, a 5 inch pot, like as not what you got was, and is, still a first year plant. It isn't gonna perform like an established one.

Patience grasshopper! :)

TeeJo

Supposedly they are second year plants? I'm cool with the patience thing, I just keep reading/seeing stories of first year plants in the upper teens feet-wise and I thought maybe it was something I was doing wrong.
Thanks Tee!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well the problem I see is you planted them a month ago. They look pretty good for a month old plant, if they were only this tall and you planted them in April then it would be a different story. My 2 plants I bought from Great Lakes Hops were planted in April and they got to be about 12 feet tall this year. About 4 or 5 weeks ago they stopped growing vertically and started putting out side arms and flowering. If I were you, I wouldn't expect much from them after planting them so late in the season.

I agree with ^that^, I'm not sure one could reasonably expect a more profuse growth for a transplant after a month. I cloned one of my big producing Cascades this Memorial Day and its single bine is only a few feet tall - could be a sibling of the op's bines.

What's the solar exposure on that side of the fence? Hopefully more southern than not...

Cheers!

My first year's after a month were roughly the same in size and growth. Remember that they need to establish roots firmly before they can really take off, and that can take a while.

My cascade was very spindly. I was worried that it wouldn't support any additional growth other than leaves. Over time, the bines thickened and became more robust. I wouldn't expect anything from them in their first year, and anything you do get is a godsend. Since you planted late, it may be that that is as big as they'll get. Let that root structure grow though, don't prune or pick leaves (unless they're dead or dying) to help your plants establish their roots.

Next year, you'll have bines flying out of the ground in late March and you'll have a different problem, and that's dealing with having to chop all your growth to the ground after the threat of frost is over. I struggled with that with my 3rd year nugget. As you can see, it didn't bother her one bit. She was totally chopped to the crown on May 1st. Here she is this morning. 1406229741633.jpg

If you provide the right environment, which it sounds like you're trying to do, they will grow like crazy. You may want to prune up that tree to squeeze in a few more hours of light for your plants.

Back