how do I turn Edwort's heffe into a Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxbing

Reaction score
I plan on making 10 gal of Edwort's heffe and was wondering what I could do post boil to turn half of it in to more of a Belgian wheat style.

I was going to us a Belgian wheat yeast, but is there something else I could add post boil/cooling of is it to late to add orange or spices.

My goal is to squeeze 2 beers from one wort boil and compare the difference.

Thanks

You really should add the coriander and orange peel before cooling but it almost certainly will not hurt the beer to add them after you split the batches.

The biggest and best way to delineate between a German Hefe and a Belgian Wit is the yeast. And obviously this would come after the split so also no problem there. If you pitch with the WL or Wyeast versions of those two yeasts you will notice a nice difference. You could even go with the Belgian Trappist style yeast from (#500) and you will get an even more pronounced Belgian (fruity and spicy) flavor from the yeast.

I guess I could drain half off at the end of the boil to another kettle, add spices to one then cool separately.

how much coriander and orange peel would be appropriate?

I've never brewed Ed's hef. recipe.

In my limited experience with Belgian yeast, no other spices are necessary. You'll get plenty o'flavor from the yeast. I've used the WLP-400, fermented in the low 60's and still had noticeable Belgian-esq flavor. I'd just pitch the separate yeast strains in the different containers.

If you end up using WLP-400, I'd suggest a blow-off tube. She's an angry one.

Good luck.:mug:

For spicing a wit I have zeroed in on 1/2 oz of coriander ground in a coffee grinder, plus 1/2 oz bitter orange peel and a 1/4 oz sweet orange peel.

(But like Hugh says, I only use spice for wits. Any other Belgian style that I do get its spicy flavors from the yeast alone.)

Witbier usually has a large percentage of unmalted wheat. Ed's Hefeweizen only contains Pilsner and Wheat malt. While it wont be exactly a Witbier with just the spice additions, it should be a tasty beer.

A Bavarian Hefe and a Belgian Wit beer are different styles. I'd suggest brewing Ed's Bavarian Hefe if you want a Bavarian Hefe. if you want a Wit Beer I'd suggest something like this:

The Brewing Network • View topic - Jamil's Wit Recipe Questions

5.50 pounds Pilsner malt
5.00 pounds flaked wheat
1.13 pounds flaked oats
0.25 pounds Munich malt

Hallertauer @ 60 minutes for 19.7 IBU

1.5 ounces fresh orange peel @ 5 minutes
0.4 ounces crushed coriander @ 5 minutes
0.03 ounces chamomile flowers @ 5 minutes

This is totally do-able. First make a spice tea:

1. Get together your coriander, orange peels, etc. and crush if necessary.
2. Heat some water to about 160°F or so
3. Add your spices inside a hop bag
4. Let them sit for a while during the end of your session.
5. Remove hop bag with spices
6. Pour tea into one of the fermenters!

Then simply add a Belgian Wit yeast to the spiced batch and use a German Hefeweizen yeast for the other! Two completely different beers.

This will taste BETTER than adding them to the boil, anyway, as you won't extract tannins and harsh flavors from boiling the spices.

I would add some lactic acid to the Belgian version so it is closer to a Wit, since you are using malted wheat. Unmalted wheat has a bit of a tangy twist to it which is part of what makes a Wit a Wit.

I decided to take the easy way out. I just used the same wort with 2 different yeasts.

3463 Forbidden Fruit and 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen. That way I can compare just the yeast.

I do like the Spice tea idea, thanks

They are both bubbling away. they both blew off the air locks. The 3463 is very violent...

Back