How do I power my DC motor???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sar_dog_1

Reaction score
Hey everybody! This is driving me absolutly bat sh** crazy! I want to power my grain mill with a dc motor because i want speed control and reverse ability. I have 2 dc motors to choose from. 1 is a 1HP 24v dc and the other is a 3 HP 110V DC treadmill motor. for the treadmill motor, i pulled the PWM board with it but cannot for the life of me figure out how to use it with the POT switch i bought. just cant get it to turn... :(

I know there is a way to get either one of these motor to spin on the cheap as my gaget buget is blown. i saw this video on you tube but i am a little leary on saftey as well as if i can even get a dc motor to slow down to 150RPMS.

any info i could get would be greatly appriciated!!:mug::mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
While I can't help you based on the lack of details, but here are some thoughts/concerns:

1 hp @ 24 volts is big time power control. 1 HP is 745 watts, and at 24 volts you need to supply 31 amps for full speed.

3 hp on 110 volts should be 2235 watts, and way more than you can get from a standard wall plug, assuming it was designed for wall power.

In either case you will lose significant power running at a reduced speed.
With the treadmill motor that might be OK. Can you provide more details of this motor and it's control, and what the treadmill power specs were?

Why not just use an old drill? wouldn't that have enough delicious torque for a grain mill? Sorry, this isn't helpful for your current situation

the 3 HP motor is from a treadmill with a normal outlet plug. this is the motor and PWM.

The other motor is a 1 HP Lesson 39 amp continuous duty 24v 1800rpm. It has a pos and neg pole on the case. Maby this would be better option? what do I need to get this going? variable speed, reverse, 180-200 rpms.

motor.jpg

all.jpg

20140724_134747.jpg

The 24v motor will need a variable output power supply capable of 39 amps. Anything less may get overloaded even at lower speed, as the load goes way up as soon as you put grain in the mill. That powersupply will cost BIG bucks.

The treadmill board has several connectors, some of which are probably switches and interlocks, maybe even a speed sensor. Even with years of electronics background, and all the tools/meters I have, I'd be hard pressed to figure that one out, unless you have the whole treadmill, and can trace wires end to end from the connectors. And, 26 amps at 110vdc to get 3hp. I suspect it's circuit will limit that significantly to avoid tripping the breaker.

Buy a cheap drill at Harbor Freight and save yourself a lot of time and aggravation. They have a Heavy Duty one for $30.

I am a hardcore DIY guy, but those 2 motors just don't cut it.

You'll have to use a series of pulleys to step down the RPM of the mill if you're using a motor like that.

I was hoping to not use pulleys. But it looks like I will have to. Bummer.

Yeah, ebay the motors and pickup a harborfrieght drill or a used motor on ebay. I went with the latter for $25, you won't get variable control but you don't need it for milling (just low rpm). If you don't want to use pulleys look for a geared motor with built in reduction.

Check it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/huhushop-TM...796?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4182a98464

This bad boy is basically just a PWM module with big-ass MOSFETS to handle the power.

All you need to do is feed it DC power from 10-50V. 24V transformers are commonly used in HVAC applications, are easy to find and exactly the voltage you need. The other thing you will need is a beefy full-wave bridge rectifier capable of handling 40 amps or more. Find it here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-High-C...332?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8d98eb4c

Feed 120V AC into the transformer to get 24V AC out, slap that into the rectifier to get 24VDC out, and then into the PWM controller and to your motor. You already have the transformer in the treadmill control board, so you can get the rest done for around $25.

What about a car battery? I know it's 24 volts but it should still spin fast enough and amperage would not be a problem. I have a few things that I repurposed off cars and just power them with a car battery and jumper cables. A small tractor battery I think would also work.

Latest posts

Back