How to wire a treadmill motor to my grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisR00

Reaction score
Hi, I need some help rewiring a treadmill control board for my grain mill. When the treadmill belt bit the dust I took apart the whole thing to harvest the motor and controls. If I understand correctly (unlikely) the motor speed is controlled by the control board using PWM, and the control board gets it’s information from a micro controller built into the user interface board on the back of the display panel. There’s a whole tangle of wires running from the display board to the motor control board. I need to know which ones I need to wire in a pot to control the speed down from full throttle to about 600 RPM. I have a 3.5 inch sheave attached to the mill to step this down to the target of about 200 rpm. Much help would be appreciated here, I have only down a few simple wiring projects in the past and my understanding is quite poor.

BEA3863E-8A1C-4807-9AC5-AE5025D87937.jpg

D7CC6599-CC4D-4F92-84CB-FCD95B8767D1.jpg

14483470-B03C-4ADF-8DC5-856502AEFF72.jpg

That motor will surely be DC-operated, PWM or otherwise, while router speed controllers are AC.

Any chance of getting a close-up of the motor plate and motor wires?
It's possible the motor could be run at full speed with the right DC power supply...

Cheers!

Here’s the motor plate. It’s a standard 4 wire DC motor. I believe it will run somewhere around 1760 rpms if not controlled. The pulley ratio is about 1:2.25, so that would have the rollers going at 780 rpms. Way too fast.

216F83D9-3A3F-4896-9702-69D652C73181.jpg

I'm hoping that I can hook up a simple PWM controller to the main board. I saw a build where they used this MC2100 motor controller and wired a PWM to it and got it running. I'm mostly concerned about the ratings for the PWM controller that I would need for this. I ordered a DC 10-50V 30A 1000W motor controller and am hoping I can wire it to the motor controller board.

DC PWM controller.jpg

Looking at the motor plate you can see the dramatic horsepower drop-off between max input short-duration voltage and max input continuous-operation voltage.

That's a full 1HP across a 30V drop.
I don't know what it will provide with only 50VDC at the input...

Cheers!

Miraculously I found the answer I need for the exact model of motor control board I have. I want to thank you all for your suggestions and review the options in case someone else is in my spot in the future:

1) Ditch the controller and step it down with sheaves or gears: This was BeardedBrews response and certainly would be easiest, though the most costly. Large sheaves aren't cheap anymore. I'd need about a 13" sheave on the mill to step down a 1760 RPM motor with a 1.5" diameter sheave press fit to it. That's an expensive sheave, and there are other issues with this. A gearing system would be even more expensive.

2) Buy pre-built electronics to send signals to the motor control board: This is probably the easiest, and middle cost option. The trick is that the input voltage is 9V and the PWM signal voltage needs to be 5V with a low pulse duty cycle to bring it down to below 4V. This appears to be solvable by purchasing a 9V PWM DC motor speed controller and running the output through a voltage regulator set to 4-5V (or a voltage reducer, as it's sometimes called). That whole setup can be had on Amazon for probably around $20-30. Note that I haven't seen anyone actually use this setup, but in theory it should work fine.

3) Wire up a purpose-fit PWM controller: This website has the full gory details: http://el34world.com/Misc/Cnc/TreadmillMotor1.htm . Now, I'm not an electrical engineer but I've worked with EEs a long time and picked up a few things along the way. I've also been itching to get my hands dirty with some solder (not literally). For me this is the way I'm going to go. I found all the parts I need online for about $30 after shipping, but if there was an electronics store anywhere within 10 miles of me I could have gotten the parts for WAYYYY cheaper. In any case, the parts are ordered and when they get here I'll try to wire everything up and see if I can't get this going. For me another bonus is that this unit will be compact (just the PWM speed controller and the motor control board) and can easier fit in a small 8"x10" hobby box. Less space, less mess, and less to lug around on brew day.

4) Use the treadmill panel to control the motor board: Certainly the cheapest option, since I have all of the parts from the treadmill. Also the least likely to give me the control I need. The lowest setting on the treadmill speed still has the mill rolling about 300 rpms. Not terrible, but not ideal. Also, the panel is big, like 2.5 ft square big. Mounting that to the mill board will require a really long plank and take up a ton of space, as well as being awkward to carry around. I wouldn't want to go this route unless I really had no other option.

So there we go. Thanks again for the suggestions. And we'll see how the PWM controller wiring goes.

Cheers!

just wanted to mention I use a 110v DC gear reduction motor and made an inexpensive speed controlled power supply (not PWM) using a $3 bridge rectifier and a $7 120v wall dimmer switch... The motor does respond well to the speed control and does not get warm even when turned down a bit but due to the gear reduction I dont generally turn it down. (Ive been using this for 3 years now) This type of power supply can also be used to adjust and leave it set at the motors desired voltage though... smoothing capacitors can be used but with a dc motor they are not needed.

to just power that motor you can just use the bridge rectifier to convert the ac to dc and use your pwm controller with it... lots of you tube videos on it.

BTW I dont see that belt holding up.. Ive already stretched full size v belts with mine.

Back