DC Motor Control for Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteArmadilloBrewing

Reaction score
My brother gave me this DC motor a couple years ago. After looking around I'm pretty sure its got the HP and RPMs to automate my barley crusher rollers.

However, it spins in the wrong direction. I've tried wiring it up to a DPDT switch to reverse the polarity without success.

Is there a specific controller I need in order to reverse the shaft direction?

Attachments

• IMG_1139.JPG
    IMG_1139.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 107
I dont think that is a DC motor as it always to be fed from the 115v AC mains.

A DC motor is reversed by connecting it in reverse (ie reverse polarity) not so with an AC motor which I think that is.

Looking at the manufacture's plate the input voltage is 115 volts, and as the "60/DC" is stamped in the "CYC" box (for cycles per second, presumably) I'd take the "60" and ignore the "DC".

Some AC motors bring the wiring out to where the user can re-configure how the windings are used and in that case can usually be reversed. The 115 VAC/60 Cycle gear motor I use on my mill allowed that, fortunately.

If this motor only brings out a pair of wires (with or without an actual Safety Ground wire) it's unlikely to be reversible. In that case one needs to look at the mill to see if it can be assembled to be driven from the opposite end, which would intrinsically reverse the drive rotation...

Cheers!

[edit] I just remembered that while I wired my grain mill gear motor for forward/reverse the specs indicated one direction had more torque than the other, and I did end up re-assembling my mill to drive it from the opposite end as shipped. That let me end up with the stronger torque in the milling direction and the weaker in the "back it up!" direction :)

My guess about the 60/DC cycles is that the motor is rated to be driven from a variable frequency power supply in order to control the speed. And that the variable frequency can go as low as 0 Hz without harming the motor.

Brew on :mug:

My brother gave me this DC motor a couple years ago. After looking around I'm pretty sure its got the HP and RPMs to automate my barley crusher rollers.

However, it spins in the wrong direction. I've tried wiring it up to a DPDT switch to reverse the polarity without success.

Is there a specific controller I need in order to reverse the shaft direction?

You are over thinking this. Flip your rollers around to match the motor.

You are over thinking this. Flip your rollers around to match the motor.
that wouldnt work with my cereal killer... ended up using pulleys to allow me to use the motor (cant really do that with the bushings the barley crusher uses or it will wear it out even faster than they normally wear out).
looks like a DC motor to me.. the 115v doesnt mean its AC

I use a 110v dc gear reduction motor I made a simple ac/dc speed controller powersupply using a $7 wall dimmer switch and a bridge rectifier... been working great for 4 years now. there are multiple youtube videos on this and the crude DC power wont hurt the motor.

Last edited:
Does this motor have a commutator and motor brushes? It might be a “universal” type able to run on ac or dc. Common for older tools and appliances.

that wouldnt work with my cereal killer...

Sure, but the OP mentioned barley crusher and it can be done on that. Mine currently spins in the wrong direction, which is a pain in the butt because the drill chuck opens up at least once per batch.

Sure, but the OP mentioned barley crusher and it can be done on that. Mine currently spins in the wrong direction, which is a pain in the butt because the drill chuck opens up at least once per batch.
understood... was always told the CK is a clone of the BC but I guess because of the ball bearing upgrade the plates are machined differently.

Back