How do I know how much priming sugar to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeydan

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have some beer sitting in primary which I will bottle tomorrow (it will have been in there for three weeks and FG has been the same for the last few days).

Having searched and looked at a few threads and how-tos, I know that I should be using 8g of priming sugar per litre of beer. However how do I know how much beer will actually make it into the bottles?

I have just over 15 litres in the FV but this is sitting on the trub, yeast, etc. Any idea how much I can expect to lose and how much beer I will actually end up with in the bottling bucket? Or can I transfer to the bottling bucket before making my priming solution (worried about oxidation with this option - should I be?)

Also I will be using table (granulated cane) sugar for this - would I need any more or less sugar than the 8g per litre recommended? I'm not sure whether this is for corn sugar or indeed whether there would be any difference as to how much CO2 is produced.

Cheers,

Dan

I use this calculator to calculate the amount of priming sugar. The way I figure out the volume is really take an educated guess and calculate just a little less than what is in your bucket. A quick conversion from liters to gallons gives you 3.96 gallons. Plug that into the calculator.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Edit: I would probably use 3.5 gallons for the calculation or 13 to 14 liters.

Latest posts

Back