How did i get this color from two row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fitchbrew

Reaction score
This recipe was my first all Grain and py contained pale two row malt and cascade hops. When it went it the bottle it was very pale in color

image-289165009.jpg

If there were no other grains in the grain bill... my guess is that you (or whoever crushed it) had some roasted grain powder on the rollers and bottom of the crusher from a previous brew and it made it's way into the grist. Or you reused a bucket that had the same thing.

The whole grain bill was only 11 lbs of two row and a couple ounces of cascade hops. Like I said it was my first all grain and I just wanted a starting point to see how my system works on a very basic recipe. It was pale as bud light a few months ago but now has turned amber in color and tastes quite a bit more malty and caramelized. The only thing I can think if is oxidation?

How about small boil volume and long boil?

I'm thinking this...
How much water did you have pre-boil, did you top-up, or perhaps even from a warmer than usual mash?
Surely extracted tannins must account for _some_ color, otherwise steeping grains wouldn't change extract brews as much as they do.

Pre boil volume was about 5 gallons. I ended up with about 3.5 after 60 mins. Could be..

Mux - I actually recently bottled a 2row/FF7'cs SMaSH. Has about another week of coditioning left. I would have to agree with others though... Oxidation. How does it taste?

Misplaced_Canuck said:
If the grain bill is accurate and everything else also is, my guess would be that the beer got highly oxidized.

I had a Kolsch from a place in Seattle this wk-end that was almost the color of a Pale Ale. I returned it. Yes, oxidation.

MC

+1
Below is a extreme example, but showsthe effects of oxidation.

I recently got about 40 bottles of 30 year old wine and champange. Some bottles had plastic corks and where oxodized. These where apple wine, which is straw,golden in color and they looked like a porter. The bottles that were corked and were in goood shaped, looked like they were supposed too. Plastic cork, porter. Oxidation will darken and ruin a fermented beverage fast.

My guess would be Malanoidins, i.e. long boil with not much volume. How fresh were the hops? Perhaps aged hops created some off colors

Back