How did I fix it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambuck

Reaction score
I'm, eh, perplexed? This will probably be a long post, but please bear with me.
I started all grain the end of last year or the beginning of this year. I've brewed quite a few batches of all grain. I've read and read until I was so confused, I just went ahead and started brewing, figuring I'd sort it out as I went along.
My old set up was the cheap 48 qt rectangle cooler. I started with the stainless braid. Actually 2, teed together. I started using water calculators in Beersmith, but was ending up with way too much water. I figured that out, pretty quickly and thought I had a good process down for mash and sparge water. I batch sparge. I tried using 2 sparges, but now just use 1 batch sparge, no mash out.
I always missed my OG/SG and my brewhouse efficiency was all over the place, but never better than about 73%. Using the brewhouse calculator on brewersfriend.com. But, the final product was always tasty. I take good notes, and really thought my process was sound. But, 1 batch would be 63%, next batch 68%, 63, 71 etc. All similar grain bills.
Then, in my reading, I read many folks who taste their wort. So I tried it. Tasted like nothing but grain. Tried several different batches, always tasted like grain. I noticed large holes in my braid, so went to a CPVC manifold. Still tasted like grain, but seemed to clear my finished beer up. So used that for awhile. Then it came off during a mash. My mistake, but one I wouldn't make again. So went back to the stainless braid. Made 2 batches since the switch back to braid
, the first one I kegged, somehow I ended up with grain in the keg. Again, my mistake.
Which, now, brings me to this post. Sorry for the long winded post.
Being fed up, I started over. My thought process was this: What haven't I been able to control in my brewing? 1st issue that came to mind is I get the grain crushed at my local brew shop. They have a cereal killer and are great folks. I've never seen them clean or adjust, but doesn't mean the don't. A few months ago I was asking him about the crusher and he loves it. It has ground thousands of lbs of grain. I asked about what setting, and he wasn't quite sure. So, now I own a cereal crusher, set to .033". Next up, I bought a square 58 qt Coleman Xtreme. Lastly, I built a new CPVC manifold, with stainless screws so it won't come off in a mash. :D I read John Palmers section on designing a manifold. So I made sure it is about 2" away from the edge of the cooler sides, to prevent cascading down the sides of the cooler. I also put slots in only the lines that are parallel with the drain.
I am using Mash and Sparge water calculator on brew365.com. I use 1.2 Mash thickness. I just brewed 2 batches. My wort tasted SWEET. No taste of grain whatsever. Just delicous and sweet. I hit my OG/SG dead on or a bit over. I hit ~79.4% and ~78.5% respectively. I figure perhaps I just have a better handle on it, being my second time building my setup. What I don't get, is why now my wort tastes very sweet, with little to no hint of grain? I now crush my own. New style of Manifold. I am also still only batch sparging once, but have switched to a much slower flow rate during the sparge. My PH is around 6, no matter when i take it. Using filtered tap water. using cheapo strips, that I'm not sure about. Not sure what happened, but am definitely a happy brewer now.

You should get that PH lower. 6 is a bit high. you want to be 5.2 - 5.6 range for best conversion.

You should get that PH lower. 6 is a bit high. you want to be 5.2 - 5.6 range for best conversion.

Thanks. These strips are pretty bad. I think the color code goes from 4 to 6 etc. So it looks like it is a bit below 6. My wife is an organic nut, and while she doesn't drink, I try not to add anything I don't have to. Tis the reason I won't use the Camden tablets, whirfloc or irish moss. But, I have been thinking of getting a PH meter. I was pricing them the other day. The local brew shop has the 5.2PH stuff, but I know nothing about what is in that.
Also, I was reading about using Distilled water, then building the water profile that you want for the specific brew. That is interesting, but I think I will just stick to trying to keep my wort sweet and my efficiency up towards 80% for now. lol

Thanks. These strips are pretty bad. I think the color code goes from 4 to 6 etc. So it looks like it is a bit below 6. My wife is an organic nut, and while she doesn't drink, I try not to add anything I don't have to. Tis the reason I won't use the Camden tablets, whirfloc or irish moss. But, I have been thinking of getting a PH meter. I was pricing them the other day. The local brew shop has the 5.2PH stuff, but I know nothing about what is in that.
Also, I was reading about using Distilled water, then building the water profile that you want for the specific brew. That is interesting, but I think I will just stick to trying to keep my wort sweet and my efficiency up towards 80% for now. lol

Dont get the 5.2 ph stuff. its a big waste of money. What you need to do is find your water profile and use the EZ water calculator to figure out what the mash PH will be. then you make adjustments if necessary. You can probably find out the water profile from your local water supply's website. Once you have that then its pretty easy. just input the water profile and your grain bill and it tells you the ph of the mash. can add acid or acid malt to adjust the PH down. Or if alkalinity is too high you can cut it with distilled water.

Latest posts

Back