How come my beer is so low in alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe2004

Reaction score
i had it fermenting for 2 weeks and noticed no more bubbles. So today i was bottling i decided to measure it and on the scale of the hydrometer it was reading 2 1/2 or a little less. Did something go wrong here ?

Also the beer is pretty bitter will it mellow out after conditioning ?

Thanks

The way you measure ABV in a beer is you take the original gravity (before fermentation), and the final gravity (after fermentation is finished), and then you do some math. Generally you can just multiply it by 131 and get pretty close.

i.e. ABV = (OG - FG) * 131

If you are looking at the Alcohol% thing on your hydrometer, that's not going to be an accurate measurement for your beer.

Not sure what 2 1/2 is but whatever it is, using a hydrometer you need two readings to calculate the alcohol content: one before and one after fermentation.

the alcohol scale is for wine. all it tells you is the potential from an original sample if it ferments to 1.000.

i haven't done the before so what can i do now to read the alcohol level ?

Drink five beers in 15 minutes if you pass out it´s a 10+ beer if you don´t pass out but can stand it´s around 9. If you embarresed your family and friends but there is no police involved then it´s a beer between 7 and 9. If you feel just a little tipsy it´s 6%. And if you find yourself typing stupid things in a beer forum it´s around 4.5abv at least that´s what I´m drinking.
Now seriously, if it was extract you can somehow calculate your starting gravity, with that a a final gravity reading you´ll be able to find out. Post your recipe so we can have an idea.

i haven't done the before so what can i do now to read the alcohol level ?

If you really have to know the ABV, you can send it to a lab for testing. There was a guy who has fairly good pricing on this stuff, but I cannot find the info right now. And by good pricing it will still end up costing you $20+ just to get the ABV.

If this is an extract recipe, just post the recipe and I can tell you the ABV within a fairly close margin, since the OG is very predictable in extract batches.

Let me remind you this is for a 5 Gallon batch but i did mine at 2.5 Gallon so i used half of everything except the yeast

Malt Extract:
Pale 6 lbs.

Corn sugar 0.5 lb.

Grain Bill:
Caravienne Malt 4 oz
Carafoam Malt 4 oz
Aromatic Malt 4 oz
Biscuit Malt 4 oz

Hopping Schedule:
#1 Saaz (4.2%) 1.2 oz 60 min
#2 Saaz (4.2%) .4 oz 15 min
#3 Saaz (4.2%) .2 oz 0 min

Starting Gravity:

Fermentation Temp:
65-75 degrees F

Yeast:

WhiteLabs WLP 550

I dont really see you breaking 5% abv with that recipe unless you got it below 1.010... but it still sounds like a mighty refreshing beer!

If I understand you,you used all of the ingredients for a 5 gallon batch but only made 2.5 gallons. Is this correct? If so it may very well be high abv but will most likely not turn out to taste very good.

Let me remind you this is for a 5 Gallon batch but i did mine at 2.5 Gallon so i used half of everything except the yeast

Malt Extract:
Pale 6 lbs.

Corn sugar 0.5 lb.

Grain Bill:
Caravienne Malt 4 oz
Carafoam Malt 4 oz
Aromatic Malt 4 oz
Biscuit Malt 4 oz

Hopping Schedule:
#1 Saaz (4.2%) 1.2 oz 60 min
#2 Saaz (4.2%) .4 oz 15 min
#3 Saaz (4.2%) .2 oz 0 min

Starting Gravity:

Fermentation Temp:
65-75 degrees F

Yeast:

WhiteLabs WLP 550

With 3lbs of liquid extract and .25lbs of Dextrose (corn sugar) in a 2.5 gallon batch, you should have an Original Gravity (OG) reading of around 1.057.

According to my hydrometer, the 2.5% (potential) alcohol line corresponds to a final gravity (FG) of about 1.019. That's a little bit high for a final gravity for this beer, meaning it will be more malty/sweet tasting (it has more residual sugars in it than most common beers). You probably would have done better if you aerated more, or made a starter... or maybe you needed to let it sit for another week or two before bottling... or maybe the yeast just wasn't that fresh. But that works out to an alcohol content of 5.0%ABV. I would have thought you could have gotten it closer to 5.5% just with more care for the yeast.

But malty isn't a bad thing, necessarily, especially since you used 2 ounces of hops, which is a LOT for a 2.5 gallon batch. You have about 46 IBU (international bitterness units) in your beer which is PLENTY to balance out a malty 5% beer. If you are new to craft beer, you will probably find this beer to be quite bitter and very filling. If you are very familiar with craft beer, you might find your recipe to be reminiscent of a somewhat mild IPA.

Let me explain how the gravity readings work. You've got a long skinny stick. If you stick it in sugar water (or saltwater for that matter), it will float high because the liquid will be more dense. In pure water, it will read 1.000.. that's just kind of a baseline. Alcohol is less dense than water, so if you dipped it in pure alcohol it would read like 0.995 or so. And that's all assuming we're on the planet earth. Obviously the reading would be skewed if you were on the moon, or on Mars, because gravity would have less pull, and therefore the hydrometer would float even higher up. Hence, it's called a gravity reading.

Now, if you have sugar AND alcohol in a mixture, reading the measurement is pretty much useless because the sugar content increases the reading while the alcohol content decreases it. Soo.. the way we work around that is that you measure the Original Gravity (OG) while there's nothing but sugar and water (pre-fermentation). And then you take a reading afterwards (post-fermentation). Then you can use a chart to compare the values and determine alcohol content. Without the initial reading to compare it to, it could be 35% sugar (which raises the gravity above 1.000), 50% alcohol (which lowers it below 1.000), and 15% water... or 5% sugar, 80% water, and 15% alcohol and the reading would be about the same. (Those are rough guessed numbers... don't hold me to them).

Fortunately, when you are using extract, every brewer has a pretty good idea of how much sugar that adds to a given volume of water because it's a fairly standard product. Same with corn sugar. It's standard. So we can just plug it into a program like Beersmith and it'll spit out a calculated OG that will be pretty close. Then we can compare that to the FG reading that you DID take, and come up with the information needed to calculate/derive the alcohol content from commonly available charts... Or we forget those stupid charts and let Beersmith calculate it for us. :mug:

In this case, it works out to 5%ABV. Or, to use the simplified equation that was posted earlier 1.057 OG - 1.019 (FG) = .038 and then .038 x 131 = 4.978%ABV.

As for hops and bitterness, same thing... we let Beersmith calculate it. It's a cool program and I believe it has a free trial period. Check it out. Also, check out John Palmer's free ebook, How To Brew. It's a great resource and should help you wrap your head around a lot of issues and will definitely make you a better brewer. I've been brewing for over 10 years and still refer to it from time to time.

With 3lbs of liquid extract and .25lbs of Dextrose (corn sugar) in a 2.5 gallon batch, you should have an Original Gravity (OG) reading of around 1.057.
I think Sir Humpsalot made a boo-boo in his arithmetic.
3 lbs LME + 0.25 corn sugar yields 122 gravity points. Divide by 2.5 gallons, gives 48.6 gravity points or an OG of 1.0486. You will gain a few extra points from the steeping grains, and lose a few to trub and hop absorption. This is pretty close to the OG of 1.046 mentioned in the recipe.

-a.

3 lbs LME + 0.25 corn sugar yields 122 gravity points. Divide by 2.5 gallons, gives 48.6 gravity points or an OG of 1.0486. You will gain a few extra points from the steeping grains, and lose a few to trub and hop absorption. This is pretty close to the OG of 1.046 mentioned in the recipe.

-a.

Yes, the OG is mentioned in the recipe and it's accurate if you do the math.

Then, to determine ABV, it's (1.046- 1.016) x 131 = 3.93% ABV.

I got the 1.016 number from guestimating the FG of 2.5 PA given by the OP.

When you prime the bottles with sugar to carbonate, you'll add a bit more sugar and hence more fermentables, probably 3 more gravity points. So that would be a grand total of 4.32% ABV.

If you want more alcohol in the finished beer, you need to start with a recipe that has a higher starting original gravity- it's really just that simple.

Quick question.....did you add the dextrose to the boil? I would assume it was included for bottling, and unless you added it to the bottling bucket, your beer won't carb.

At this point in your brewing "career" I would worry more about learning your equipment, and the proper way to use it, and less about how you can make high alcohol beer as you mentioned in another post. If you follow the directions from the recipe, and your process is sound, you should get pretty close to what the recipe says.

Whenever I see someone overly concerned with high alcohol I think "someone under 21". I'm not saying that's the case, it just seems to happen sometimes.

ajf said:

That's why I take gravity readings!!!!!!

You're right, ajf. Thanks for checking the numbers. I assumed it was DME. My bad.

I did find it rather curious that a kit was hitting 5% with an FG of 1.019. If I would have dug into that oddity a bit, I would have found my mistake... but I was kinda tired and buzzed at the time. lol

Quick question.....did you add the dextrose to the boil? I would assume it was included for bottling, and unless you added it to the bottling bucket, your beer won't carb.

At this point in your brewing "career" I would worry more about learning your equipment, and the proper way to use it, and less about how you can make high alcohol beer as you mentioned in another post. If you follow the directions from the recipe, and your process is sound, you should get pretty close to what the recipe says.

Whenever I see someone overly concerned with high alcohol I think "someone under 21". I'm not saying that's the case, it just seems to happen sometimes.

the only thing i added was the liquid Sugar to the boil. But when i bottled it i used the little sugar tablets that i picked up from the beer store.

Sir Humpsalot said:
And that's all assuming we're on the planet earth. Obviously the reading would be skewed if you were on the moon, or on Mars, because gravity would have less pull, and therefore the hydrometer would float even higher up. Hence, it's called a gravity reading.

I agree with everything except this^^^. The hydrometer basically reads relative density, which is not affected by gravity. Ironically, gravity is the least important factor in a gravity measurement (although gravity is required to make the measurement...can't brew beer on the space station).

weirdboy said:
Sure you can. You can use centripetal force a.k.a. artificial gravity instead.

Ha. I'd love to see you read a hydrometer in some sort of centrifuge.

I'm already dizzy...

Ha. I'd love to see you read a hydrometer in some sort of centrifuge.

I'm already dizzy...

Well I haven't read a hydrometer in one, but I have read a accelerometer in a centrifuge. You know those rides where it spins around really fast, and the floor drops down and you stick to the wall? One of those.

My physics class in high school did a day at the amusement park where we did a bunch of experiments and took measurements on various rides.

Latest posts

Back