How come it took me almost 2 weeks to get to fg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simpleman2812

Reaction score
I made my first yeast starter for this last batch of pumpkin ale i'm brewing.I used a wyeast 1056 smack pack, got my calculations from mrmalty.com, and made my 1L starter the night before. pitched at 70F and put in my fermentation fridge setting digital temp control at 61F. When I checked my brew 6 days later my hydrometer reading was at 1.02. I replaced blow off hose with airlock, swirled carboy just a little and put it back in fridge. I raised temp to 65F.checked it 5 days later and it was at 1.01. Why did it take so long and how will it affect my beer? My starting gravity was 1.056. Is 61F to cold? Did I mess up my starter some how? Brew smells extra estery. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Temp range for that yeast is 60-72F, being that is was fermented at the lower end of the scale it would usually ferment slower. As far as the easter smell, I am at a loss. Esters will come through in the flavor and usually from higher fermentation temps not lower.

I usually ferment at 65 degrees with no starter and most fermentation seems to be finished in about 4 days. Im surprised that 4 degrees would make that much different. Just wondering if I messed my starter up. When i made starter I left it on my kitchen counter overnight. temp in my house probably 72degrees or so, maybe a little warmer. Wondering if that was too warm?

60-72 i just a guideline, alittle above or below wouldn't be cause for alarm. Most likely nothing to worry about.

I usually ferment at 65 degrees with no starter and most fermentation seems to be finished in about 4 days. Im surprised that 4 degrees would make that much different. Just wondering if I messed my starter up. When i made starter I left it on my kitchen counter overnight. temp in my house probably 72degrees or so, maybe a little warmer. Wondering if that was too warm?

The 72 degrees for the starter is a good temperature. You are trying to increase the cell count, not make beer. The yeast would love that temp.

At 60 degrees the fermentation would be slower that at 65. I am not really surprised.

Yeast can't read the rules and will do their work as they feel fit. I have brewed similar beers using the same yeast. Some go quick and others take a long time.

Back