how cold can you go

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heineken81

Reaction score
I brew in Idaho in a unheated garage so during the winter temperature can get below 0 F very easy. I have a refrigerator i plan on ferment in to control temperature. But was wondering. Am I going to be brewing in that weather even in a fridge. I plan on getting a temperature controller but with that low of temperature with i risk freezing. Also if I am able to brew at that temperature would it be better to heat with a heat lamp or with a heater belt like this
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...ure-control/electric-fermentation-heater.html

thank you for any advice

yeah i am not worried for this summer but want to plan for winter next year. Last year had to just stop when winter hit (since i don't have room in the house) and this year I don't want to stop

Ok, so you can just get a light bulb that puts off some heat and put a sweatshirt around your beer if your worried about the light

here is one I used this winter.

P1050575.JPG

I tried using a fan for circulation but didn't need it.

im a fan of a fermwrap. its a big sheet of plastic with heating elements printed on it. real high tech stuff but it works.

The heat belt limits you to one fermenter, so keep that in mind. I use a small mini fan heater $20 or so from Ace hardware in my fermentation chamber.

Heating pad from the drug store work good too. Three heat setting and cheaper that the brew-belt or whatever they call it.

Back