How cold can you ferment a lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joesf35

Reaction score
I've been searching the boards on my phone app, which isn't as good for searches as the real site, looking for the low end of acceptable lager fermentation temperatures. I found high end discussions but I need the other extreme.
I have a small redbull fridge that maintains 46F-48F on the highest setting as the compressor cycles, no warmer. Will this environment work for fermenting a lager? If not are there yeast that can handle it?
(I have a big cooler I was going to use and swap ice packs, but the lid won't shut with the bucket in there).

Thanks

i've done it with saflager 34/70 at that range. came out a bit sulfury, but lagering took care of that. it's not ideal, but it'll work.

Started wyeast American Lager at 42 and had active fermentation before it was able to self raise in the freezer to 45 and then held at 48 for 2 weeks.

Sounds like it should be fine with the right yeast and some lagering then.
I didn't think about the actual fermentation temperature being higher than the fridge. When you say self raise you mean the fridge was at 42 and them the fermentation kept the wort/beer at 45?

Sounds like it should be fine with the right yeast and some lagering then.
I didn't think about the actual fermentation temperature being higher than the fridge. When you say self raise you mean the fridge was at 42 and them the fermentation kept the wort/beer at 45?

No I chilled it with a pump running ice water through the chiller to 42 degrees, aerated and pitched a huge starter then stuck it in the freezer set for 48. By the next morning it had gone up to 45 and was already showing an active krausen.

Back