how can i tell how much yeast i have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NotALamer

Reaction score
I am aiming for ~300 billion cells for my next starter but I have no idea how to tell how many I've got. I was originally going to just go based on the info about starter sizes in HTB and do two 3 qt starters, starting with 25 billion cells from the propagator. However, as I posted in another thread, I lost 2/3 of my initial starter down the drain. I could guess that I lost 2/3 of my initial 25 billion cells from the propagator and calculate how many I should have with 8 billion into a 1 qt starter, but I have no idea how accurate that would be.

Yeah I've used the calculator before, my issue is that I no longer know how many cells I have or what size the starter is, because some unknown portion of it went down the drain. The calculator has a tab for repitching from slurry, but I have no idea what the yeast concentration or non-yeast percentage is.

So there's some tubes at the bottom with percentages and large numbers, what do they mean? I assume the large numbers are cell counts, but since I don't know how big the tubes are, that doesn't really help me. Did I miss something?

Back