How bout them Spartans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtaylor3

Reaction score
I know Furman is somewhat of a nobody and they have a few things to work on but overall I'm happy with the Spartan's performance.

Where's all the Michigan State fans at?

A win is a win, but I wouldn't be happy with that poor performance. It was Furman. Might as well have been Sister Mary's school for the deaf and blind.

Point taken, they sure didn't do to Furman what Michigan did to Hawaii

You kidding? Spartans should have TROUNCED Furman. Instead, they looked like they were playing last year's Wolverines!

They better get some cohesion before they start playing some B1G teams or it's going to be a very disappointing season.

I like LJ Scotts performance, and felt the O'connor did ok

The penalties are what killed em

Penalties were bad, TO'C played... disappointing. IDK he showed flashes but he stared down every receiver, didn't once go through his read progressions and was late on several throws. That said he made some really nice throws, looked good on the designed runs. OL needs to be better. DL needs to be better w/o McDowell at the NT and Hicks is a liability until he proves he can look for the ball on time instead of face guarding or swatting the ball out of the WR hands because he didn't defend the pass in the air.

Lots of young talent behind Hicks if he can't get it together. A lot of the DL is young or new to the program. OL has a lot of new parts/old guys new positions so hopefully all this will work itself out over the course of the season. I have faith at this point that T'OC is better than he showed based off Coach D's comments and his reported knowledge of the offense so I'm gunna keep the faith. Hopefully the early bye week helps some of these things before ND.

Ouch. Wisconsin is very good, no doubt, but Sparty shot themselves in the foot several times and did not play well at all. O'Connor did not see all his receivers, threw into coverage instead of the open man. A couple dump penalties. Turnovers/interceptions were avoidable. A lot to work on.

Bryn Forbes started training camp with the Spurs today.
Forbes has an outside shot of making it as the 15th man. If cut, then he'd be put on waivers. If Forbes clears waivers, then he'd play for the Austin Spurs.

I know Furman is somewhat of a nobody and they have a few things to work on but overall I'm happy with the Spartan's performance.

Where's all the Michigan State fans at?

Don't know much about Spartans. I've read about the a bit but it's all Greek to me.

Bryn Forbes started training camp with the Spurs today.
Forbes has an outside shot of making it as the 15th man. If cut, then he'd be put on waivers. If Forbes clears waivers, then he'd play for the Austin Spurs.

Forbes is a hard worker, that is great news for him. Good to see him get a foot in the door, I hope it works out.

As far as the current team, this new incoming class of top recruits, not to mention the experience from Ben Carter, should be an exciting season to watch. The 2017 class will start to get some clarity as the commitments come rolling in, I think another is scheduled for this weekend.

Ouch. Wisconsin is very good, no doubt, but Sparty shot themselves in the foot several times and did not play well at all. O'Connor did not see all his receivers, threw into coverage instead of the open man. A couple dump penalties. Turnovers/interceptions were avoidable. A lot to work on.

I was not impressed with O'conner's performance but I will say Wisconsin was in his face for the whole game.

I think it was a combination of a bad Spartan showing and a very talented Wisconsin team. This weekend vs the Wolverines should confirm the talent of both the Badgers and the Wolverines. As for the Spartans they have some work to put in but I don't believe they're a terrible team.

I was not impressed with O'conner's performance but I will say Wisconsin was in his face for the whole game.

I think it was a combination of a bad Spartan showing and a very talented Wisconsin team. This weekend vs the Wolverines should confirm the talent of both the Badgers and the Wolverines. As for the Spartans they have some work to put in but I don't believe they're a terrible team.

This. I refuse to be an overly optimistic fanboy, but I do think the Spartans have it in them to compete with any of the Big Ten teams out there. They don't appear to be as dominating as they were recently, but this past game seemed like an anomaly against a very good Wisconsin team.

All the more reason to tune in and see how they do.

I'm starting to lose my faith in a turn around after Michigan seemed to not struggle at all with Wisconsin.

I believe we're going to lose to Michigan and Ohio State and possibly Maryland

Unfortunately my high school team isn't very good, the Tigers failed to make the playoffs and the Lions are terrible...

So I need a spartan comeback

I'm starting to lose my faith in a turn around after Michigan seemed to not struggle at all with Wisconsin.

I believe we're going to lose to Michigan and Ohio State and possibly Maryland

Unfortunately my high school team isn't very good, the Tigers failed to make the playoffs and the Lions are terrible...

So I need a spartan comeback

Well, you always have the Wings. Sure they don't have Datsyuk now, and several of the other veterans are going to start having fewer minutes, but there are a lot of exciting young players to watch.

Any team with a player named Frk has to be fun to watch!

The Spartans have too much talent to be a total disaster. They may indeed lose another couple games, but still have a decent year, go to a bowl game, and hopefully have their QB situation settled and figure out both their D-line and O-Line. Lots of games yet to be played. I'm thinking UM will get upset somewhere down the road.

I'm fresh out of optimism for this team. They're terrible, BYU is a solid team but that definitely should've been a W on the schedule. Instead, we get blown out and look like we belong in the MAC. Fortunately, I live near Kalamazoo and have thus always also like WMU and they are rocking this year.

I should be used to it being a Lions fan, but this is the first year I've ever been slightly embarrassed to be a Spartan fan.

With games against UM, OSU and Penn St, i think a .500 year would be a stretch. The O-line and D-line are porous and too many injuries each week, what a mess.

Spartans might surprise us with a spoiler game against one of those teams.

But for some interesting side action, Western is undefeated and has looked real good taking down some good teams so far this year. They have a legit chance of getting to a real bowl game. I admit I wasn't a fan of PJ Fleck when he arrived, ("Row the Boat"? Come on...) but the record is speaking for itself.

Of course I'll be watching MSU, and Michigan games too, but the Broncos have kind of lured me in. They've produced some very good pro talent before. I'll be curious to see if they can send any of their current players on to the NFL.

Pretty sad performance against a team they could have (maybe should have) beaten. I tuned in on my phone while hanging out at a pumpkin patch/apple orchard with the family on Saturday. BTN2GO is a pretty nice app if you have a subscription to cable, or satellite to verify against.

I don't see them getting to a bowl game this year, even if they win out.

Forbes has made the Spurs 15 man regular season roster. Bryn is penciled in for a lot of time playing for Austin Spurs in the DLeague, but probably plays for San Antonio whenever Ginobili rests.

Spartans might surprise us with a spoiler game against one of those teams.

But for some interesting side action, Western is undefeated and has looked real good taking down some good teams so far this year. They have a legit chance of getting to a real bowl game. I admit I wasn't a fan of PJ Fleck when he arrived, ("Row the Boat"? Come on...) but the record is speaking for itself.

Of course I'll be watching MSU, and Michigan games too, but the Broncos have kind of lured me in. They've produced some very good pro talent before. I'll be curious to see if they can send any of their current players on to the NFL.

I'm really on board with them this year seeing a how I live 15 minutes from their stadium

I really am contemplating going to see them against Toledo on November 25th.

The Spartans are still amazing me, idk how they can play so well against Michigan and then get beat by Illinois. No doubt in my mind Western would beat the Spartans bad if they played this year.

Back