How bad did I screw up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cimerian

Reaction score
Ok so everything was going great. I was brewing an IPA and having a great time. Steeped the grains, boiled and mixed the LME and DME. Finished the entire process without a hitch. I felt like I was a real beer brewer and patting myself on the back. Well I don't have a wort chiller yet so I put the pot in a large tupperware with icewater. Stirred it to get the whole cone thing going and let it cool. About 20 min later it was down to 70F. Well I forgot to carefully take the pot out of the icewater. I'm siphoning away and suddenly the pot floats, DUH. Well it turned kinda sideways and the trub? kind of slid down to where I was siphoning. I moved the siphon but wasn't able to get as much wort out as I should have. Well stupid me when I added the water to the wort I got it to 4.5 gallons before taking OG. OG was 1.050 where it was supposed to be 1.060-1.065. I said crap and still pitched the yeast and put it away to ferment. What will all this do to my beer? Will it just be a weaker IPA now? Will it turn out more like a beer with water added to it? I also got more of the crap in the fermenter than I should have but I am guessing max that will do is make it cloudier? I'm still stoked though this is freaking fun and I haven't even gotten to drink a single beer I've brewed yet.

The trub will settle out in the fermenter - no worries there. You'll probably just have a slightly lighter IPA at a slightly lower alcohol content than you would have had if the OG had been higher. Which means you can drink more. :)

Cool that's good news. Actually being a bit lighter may be a good thing. It was looking really dark when I was done. I don't like a beer that's more of a meal.

Your doomed luckily for you I am a certified beer removal expert. Ship it my way and I will dispose of it properly.

Really though your fine. If it finishes around 1.015 your still looking at about 4.6% alcohol so all is good and well.

the beer will just be weaker. the crap will just sink to the bottom. next time just learn your lesson and don't top off.

I always dump the entire contents of my brew pot into the fermenter, and it always settles to the bottom and compacts with the yeast cake. I get great beer every time.

I always dump the entire contents of my brew pot into the fermenter, and it always settles to the bottom and compacts with the yeast cake. I get great beer every time.

Ok now I need to know more about this. I may want to try this next weekend. Are there any benefits to this?

Back