how bad can it be

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrizzleFry

Reaction score
I made an Irish ale this weekend, a fairly simple recipe similar to Jamil's red, with Maris Otter base and a little crystal and chocolate malts. I chose Wyeast 1084 for the yeast.
Unfortunately my chest freezer is currently set for 35 for lagering a couple of other things, so I rigged a ghetto "swamp cooler" for the ale which is just a bucket of water that the primary sits in, and I got some frozen water bottles that I swap out now and then, so, yeah not very well controlled. I live in Florida, and the house temp is mid 70's. The temperature readings I've been getting just measuring the water bath have been ranging from the low 60's to the low 70's, and I imagine the beer itself is a few degrees above that. So my question is, does anyone have any experience with this yeast at these temperatures? How fruity (or whatever else) does it get in the mid 70's?
Thanks.

I don't think you can really gauge the temp of the beer by checking the temp of the water. Get one of those sticky thermometers that sticks to your carboy/bucket.

As for the temp differences and the flavors, off flavors are sure to be present if you're seriously jumping between 60 and 70. I'd think it would be stressing the yeast.

Low 70s isnt tragic, which is probably the worst you are at in a bucket of water. It wont be perfect, but likely it will just be fruity, but drinkably so.

I'm thinking it'll be fine. Before I bought and wired up my STC1000, I fermented plenty of batches in my closet, ambient ~70, with no swamp cooler. I even did that with some 1084 and made good beer.

Temperature of the water should be pretty much the same as the temp of the wort. Water is a far more efficient regulator/conductor of heat than is air, so the temp should be fairly constant across the whole of the liquids (wort and water) that are in contact in the swamp cooler (especially if you have a glass fermenter).

With fermentation temperature control being IMO the most critical element of the process, your description leads me to believe your beer will contain some heavier alcohols and perhaps other undesirable byproducts. Get 'em next time.

I agree about temperature control, I just didn't want to wait till the lagering was done to make this ale, and figured a swamp cooler would be good enough. If the taste proves otherwise this will probably give me the kick in the a$$ I need to get a second freezer.

Latest posts

Back