How and where did you mount your control box? Pics please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReuFroman

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out where and how to mount my control box. I have a stainless chefs table (the nicer ones you see at costco) that all my gear is on, do I mount it to the table? Do I mount it to the wall? Do I mount it at all?

What have you done, what would you do different, and what do you think works best for you?
If you could post a pic that would be nice also.

I mounted mine to the ceiling using a home-built ceiling mounted jib arm, with the thought that I'd be able to move it around anywhere I wanted during the brew process. It has sat in the same place since the day I installed it.

Mount it to the table or to the wall next to the table. Make sure it's close enough to get to quickly (turn off pumps when you hear the dip tub sucking air, turn off the boil kettle when it gets closer to boiling over, etc). Where exactly you mount it has a lot to do with the area you're working in. You want it close to your kettles or else you'll have long wire runs to your heating elements.

Mine now sits up against the wall next to the boil kettle. It's out of the way but easily accessible.

Thanks BadNews,

I was thinking about having it on an articulating arm that I have for an old tv.
It looks like this

But I think I want to mount it to the table. I am thinking something like this

I also have thought about running a flange plate to 1.5" conduit then attaching that to the leg of the table and running my leads out through that. I haven't seen anyone do this but I think it would help with the connections.

Early morning rambling about to start in 3...2...1...WHAT IF I -
had all of the connections instead of being mounted on the bottom of the panel like Kal's design I had running through the conduit to a second box attached under the table being protected from water type interactions. I would probably need a larger gang box that I could make cuts on then have the temp probes and electrical connections there. It could give me additional room in the box, which I think I will need with the one I ordered from Auber.

ok done.

Mine is mounted to the wall. Since its easy to unplug all the connections its easy to move the stand and kettles if needed. Depending on your design, I would imagine you would need to mount it somehow, if not for practicality, for safety so that you have a consistent cord layout.

I'm currently thinking about the same issue. I'm using also a stainless prep table and I think I'm going to try and mount it using something like a monitor arm affixed to one of the legs so I can move the table around the garage. I think I'll have a couple of guys who are the normal brew crew over to test out the latest batch and discuss that stuff :)

I mounted mine 5 feet high from the floor right on my stand between my two kettles. I'm not worried about steam penetration into the enclosure because I have sealed all the switches with silicon and I plan to mount a small fan to blow the steam away from the control panel during the boil.

image.jpg

Waffle - let me know what you come up with. Also did you cut your legs down to make it easier to see in the kettles? I'm 6'5" and don't have an issue. On of my brew buddies is 5'4" it won't work for him. Brew52- nice diamond plate. I like the concept. Rosie - that is what I have been thinking till I went to ikea over the weekend and was inspired by hiding things and making wires hidden. If you could hide your cords how would you do it on your system?

I don't think I could really hide my cables and still pull it out from the wall.

panel.jpg

Mounted mine on a concrete block wall using two 2x4s anchored into the wall and the control panel screwed into the 2x4s. Having it this far away from the pumps does mean that it's sometimes not easy to control the pumps when you're chilling, since when they lose siphon and start screeching, you're holding a hose with wort coming out but somehow have to turn them off way over there. Having the panel anywhere else just didn't work though.

Do you move your gear much? Does the wiring seem to get in the way?

I dont move my brew stand at all, but I do pull my panel out from the wall when brewing. Wiring doesn't get in the way, it just hangs out behind the stand.

image-4098162462.jpg

Here's mine, I have a 2x6 that I attached with the same lag bolts that attach the legs. The control panel is mounted on an articulating tv mount so it folds out when in use and folds away so my wife doesn't get bothered by it when she loads the kids in her car

mrwizard0 said:
Here's mine, I have a 2x6 that I attached with the same lag bolts that attach the legs. The control panel is mounted on an articulating tv mount so it folds out when in use and folds away so my wife doesn't get bothered by it when she loads the kids in her car

I like it. And its really nice you let you wife park in the garage.

ReuFroman said:
I like it. And its really nice you let you wife park in the garage.

That's the only thing she gets in the garage. She keeps saying that she want to put this or that in "her" garage. But that never flies. She has the while house and attic, but the garage is mine

Here I used a Cisco Wifi Access Point Outdoor Mount turned upside down and attached with a mounting plate. 1.5" U bolts would have done just fine too. I imagine if you could get your hands on an old Sat Dish mount, you could do something very similar.

IMG_3751.jpg
IMG_3757.jpg

emribecky said:
Here I used a Cisco Wifi Access Point Outdoor Mount turned upside down and attached with a mounting plate. 1.5" U bolts would have done just fine too. I imagine if you could get your hands on an old Sat Dish mount, you could do something very similar.

I have a dish that needs to be removed that could be a good fit.

I mounted mine to a large piece of MDF that was painted and mounted on the wall, to the right of the kettles to keep it out of the way. I didn't want it anywhere in front of kettles or where water could get on it. While the panel's water resistant, I wanted it out of the way. My brewing process doesn't have me changing setting or pressing buttons often. I do glance at it quite often so I wanted it at standard operator height (nose level) so that I could see it from anywhere in the room and even outside the room through the brewery windows.

Panel wall mounted:

IMG_6670.jpg

IMG_6743.jpg

IMG_6787.jpg

The control panel is quite heavy (~36 lbs). The wall behind the tile is standard wall studs made out of wood so I used 4" lag bolts through the tile/drywall to fasten the MDF panel directly to the studs for proper support.

The countrol panel enclusure I used came with four mounting brackets. The space between the mounting brackets did not align with the standard wall stud spacing in my brewery so I used a 24x28x3/4" back plate made out of MDF.

I stained the back plate to match the brew stand and then attached to a wall stud in 3 locations using 4x3/8" lag bolts and washers. Prior to permanently attaching the back plate to the wall, I drilled 4 holes and countersunk from the back for the 4 mounting bracket bolts. The control panel was then mounted to the back plate using the included mounting brackets. The bolts come through the back plate from the back such that the nuts are attached from the outside. This allows me to remove the control panel without having to remove the back plate (if required - has never happened).

1/2" to 3/4" pipe straps were used for cable management. The straps were only attached on one side to make it possible to remove the cables if required:

IMG_6739.jpg

More details on this wall mounting in my build instructions here.

I've since then moved the brewery to a new room, but the general layout of the kettles/table/panel is identical. I simply repainted the MDF board black to match the tiled wall better:

IMG_2215.jpg

The panel's visible from outside the brewery:

IMG_2254.jpg

Good luck!

Kal

Kal, I just saw your whole setup in the new byo. Besides it being an outstanding space, I am more impressed that you got your wife on board. I only get a small section of my garage for my brewery. As always your setup is the envy of all electric brewers

Thanks! The trick is to keep her happy with copious amounts of Blonde Ale, Wits, Hefeweizens, etc!

Kal

Kal, I bought your book and have a small shrine to your knowledge in my brewing reference library. "Brewing according to the wisdom of Kal." Thanks again.

I keep thinking about a tv mount above the set up will be for me. Or off to the side on an arm.

I have to wait for the kids to graduate before I can have a brewing room. I keep telling the wife it will harden up the boy if he has to sleep in the garage.

kal said:
Thanks! The trick is to keep her happy with copious amounts of Blonde Ale, Wits, Hefeweizens, etc! Kal

My wife doesn't drink beer, and rarely drinks liquor so I'm at a loss in trying to keep her happy with something I make. And I can't afford to keep her happy with lots of diamonds. I'm deploying in a few months and she says she's going to rent out my equipment while I'm gone so she has more space in the garage.

mrwizard0 said:
My wife doesn't drink beer, and rarely drinks liquor so I'm at a loss in trying to keep her happy with something I make. And I can't afford to keep her happy with lots of diamonds. I'm deploying in a few months and she says she's going to rent out my equipment while I'm gone so she has more space in the garage.
Does she like kombucha? It's fermented tea and not really alcoholic. You can start making her that.

kal said:
Thanks! The trick is to keep her happy with copious amounts of Blonde Ale, Wits, Hefeweizens, etc! Kal
How incredibly narrow minded of you. As a lady, I have to say that I appreciate nice dark and/or hoppy beers too.

How incredibly narrow minded of you. As a lady, I have to say that I appreciate nice dark and/or hoppy beers too.
I've tried for many years to get her interested in some of the hoppier beers I like, but it hasn't worked. She knows what she likes, so I make sure to brew what she likes in addition to my usual beers. Everyone likes different things!

Kal

Hello said:
Does she like kombucha? It's fermented tea and not really alcoholic. You can start making her that.

Actually my wife enjoys IPA's and scotch ales and hates the lighter stuff.

My chicks into wine.

So I keep trying to think about a tv mount then attaching it to my system. I think I want it attached, for no other reason than I might want to brew at a friends house with a generator. Shoot at that fact I should just make a custom trailer. Brew while I'm driving Down the road.

Since most of the panels I hear about are close to 40 lbs that could be a lot to offset in the way of balance. Suggestions?

My $0.02 would be to mount it on the wall (use a TV arm)... your brewing buddies will all be over at your place a lot more after you get your system up and running anyhow.

:ban:

Back