Houston CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Houston_CO2

Reaction score
So, this site came up in my search for CO2 beyond just google options. I narrowed things down to a few places within the Loop / near the loop.

I had snapped a photo of a pricelist the last time I was hunting things down and IIRC the place was Big Tex on Long Dr and in my case 10# would have been $14 according to that. At the time though I had an expired 20# tank and wanted to go to the 10# for saving space and easier to move around. Well, that was the first issue choosing to either extreme prices $100+ or find a local place that had some in stock. I searched and emailed a bunch of places and Linde on Chimney Rock had 2-3 available. IIRC they charged a total around $25 and didn't check the cylinder until after already leaving with the full new-er tank.

Anyway... since that fiasco and knowing there were better fill prices out there from prior experience I decided to investigate again before it ran out and that was coming quickly as the tank gauge was dipping from green > white > red fairly quickly. Most of the posts here and other places though were all 10 years old...

So, as of today I went and filled @ AWG on Market. Pricing is $1/lb and hazmat fee of $8.35 Out the Door for under $20 and took just a few minutes even with the rookie on the pumper station.

I also looked into other places for 10# refills...
Industrialfiretx - $60 -- There's always 1 of these jokers in the marketplace
Big Tex - Long Dr - Screen Shot shows $14
Airgas - $25 according to my online pricing account
Linde - $21-36 ?
Matheson - $22 -- 3-4 days to fill...guess they don't do it onsite @ houston st location

Welcome to the forums at Homebrewtalk.com :mug:
One can only wonder what could possibly justify a "hazmat fee" amounting to 40-something percent of a CO2 refill when literally nothing is discarded...

Cheers!

The hazmat is either state or local flat fee. It's not as noticeable when you're doing 20# or higher. Prices also seem to vary widely. Still cheaper than those dumb prefilled tanks by the oz or L.

charged a $3.50 federal Hazmat compliance fee

From one local site that does fills. So, that accounts for part of the $8.50 the other $5 might be a city thing.

Back