"House yeast"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anybody have one, and you use it for almost everything whether it technically fits the style or not?

I use T-58 a lot, but I've been considering switching to a German ale yeast and fermenting in buckets instead of carboys. (and top-cropping the yeast)

I like Wy1272 AmAleII for a house strain. Ill go about 8-10 generations and then do something else. Always end up going back to it.

Yeast plays a big part of the flavor of a brew, so while I do not have a house yeast ( used for everything). I do have some go to yeasts that I keep harvesting and using.

These are what I have in my fridge right now.

1272 for clean APA's, IPA 's etc.
1450 for rye beers or anything that I want a little more malt to come through.
1388 for light Belgians such as tripels
1084 for Irish Reds and sometimes stouts
3787 for dubbels and BDSA
I do actually have a house strain for saisons. I harvested some yeast from my backyard about 4 years ago and have been keeping it alive since then.

Those are my go to yeasts, but I like variety so I often use ohers.

I have favorites but no specific yeast I will mostly use. I like the chico strains and have us-05, bry97 and San Diego super yeast. Use them all a fair amount.

I also use British styles like wlp004, wlp007 and us-04 but again I use each occasionally. I just purchased wlp028 for my upcoming wee heavy.

I am recently getting into Belgian styles like wlp530 and Belle Saison (which I LOVE!). I also use a style a friend got me from Serbia where his wife is from and I used it in my Czech pilsner recently.

I use some different styles with no "one" more or most.

Latest posts

Back