Hot break.. waste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcubz

Reaction score
Hey,
This is my third all grain batch and I just realized that most of the hot break sticks to the side of my pot (above the wort level) and my hop additions do too. Is my boil too strong? or is this no big deal.

Is it a major problem to wipe it off the side of the pot (the inside of the pot. There hasnt been a boil over)?

PS Ive looked for the answer. If its here can you direct me. thanks

If you go to you tube [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lPvk6poj6Y[/ame] (not my video) at the 13:00 minute mark. My boil was about triple that. So my pellet hops that I just through in, constantly ended up on the side of the pot. I had two additions, hallertau at 30 and golding at 10min left. not sure either were really effective...

You don't want the break material in your beer.

Most people would recommend not adding hops until after the hot break, leaving the hot break material alone where it is and not stirring it in. '

If you add the first hops after the hot break, and then set your timer for 60 minutes, you'll be all set.

Thanks for the comments.

I'm not sure that I'm being clear. The pot i used was too big. I had a 90 minute boil with hops at 60min into boil and 80minutes into boil. The boil was very strong and the hops seemed to turn to mush and cling to the side of the pot.

I usually use muslin bags but decided to try just throwing them in. was the boil too strong or is that what normally happens?

I always turn my boil down as far as I can go while still maintain a decent rolling boil. It doesn't have to be super volatile like it's about to explode out of the kettle. That just wastes gas and cause more wort to boil off.

As long as the hops are in the liquid, there's no problem. If you notice a significant amount of hops sticking to the pot above the liquid line, then just scrape em back in. Don't worry about hot break sticking to things.

You don't want the break material in your beer.

Most people would recommend not adding hops until after the hot break, leaving the hot break material alone where it is and not stirring it in. '

If you add the first hops after the hot break, and then set your timer for 60 minutes, you'll be all set.

Why? If you're using whirlfoc, does it matter? I usually wait until the hot break is over before starting my hop additions, but wanted to ask.

Another question is what about brewing a beer that has a first wort hop addition? They're already in when the hot break is forming, so is that addition "wasted" if it's caked on the sides of the kettle above the wort?

Why? If you're using whirlfoc, does it matter? I usually wait until the hot break is over before starting my hop additions, but wanted to ask.

Another question is what about brewing a beer that has a first wort hop addition? They're already in when the hot break is forming, so is that addition "wasted" if it's caked on the sides of the kettle above the wort?

Once the hops oils are in the wort, the vegetal matter isn't inportant. I do FWH all the time, but I've never once felt the urge or need to scrape off the hot break and vegetal matter and put it back in the beer.

Latest posts

Back