Hopstopper 2.0....disappointed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHulen

Reaction score
Anybody else have one of these? Every batch I’ve used it on has clogged. Even with small amount of hops. This last batch was the worst because I had to completely disconnect it to get it flowing.

I use it with a gravity system, but I get the feeling it’s truly designed to be used with a pump. They’re website says it works fine either way. I spent $120 on this thing because it’s supposed to be the end all be all of hop filtration devices.

I used the Hopstopper V1 in a gas-fired kettle (pumped) and it was a miserable end to an otherwise uneventful brew day. It totally clogged with a third of the wort volume still in the kettle. I had to continually scrape the reachable mesh with my kettle spoon to get the wort out (pump was very unhappy with the whole ordeal).

I've never used it again, preferring my 6x20" 400 micron SS spider which provides no drama...

Cheers!

Sorry about that thing not working. Maybe you should return it.

After trying several kettle hop filters over 8 years, the past 2 years I've been using large 9x22" fine mesh nylon hop bags weighed down with a handful of marbles. Keeps my plate chiller clean, and I can whirlpool all day long fully open with a 1/2" bore. I doubt I'll ever look back. Those larger hop baskets like @day_trippr has seem to work well, though. Maybe someday I'll try those.

Sorry about that thing not working. Maybe you should return it.

After trying several kettle hop filters over 8 years, the past 2 years I've been using large 9x22" fine mesh nylon hop bags weighed down with a handful of marbles. Keeps my plate chiller clean, and I can whirlpool all day long fully open with a 1/2" bore. I doubt I'll ever look back. Those larger hop baskets like @day_trippr has seem to work well, though. Maybe someday I'll try those.

Do you think using bags reduces the hop flavor and aroma? I used bags before, but felt like my late additions weren’t coming through. That’s why I bought the hopstopper. After using it I have noticed that hop flavor and aroma does come through more. I like to let the hops roam free in the wort, but I need to find a solution to minimize trub as well.

I’ve tried whirlpooling but apparently I don’t know the proper technique. It never forms a good cone in the pot. I’m doing it manually, maybe I need one of those whirlpool paddles that hook onto a drill.

I use the spider . I will dunk it every so often. Running my return hose into the spider helps also. I personally dont think the flavor or aroma is hindered that much. However that's just my opinion. I'd rather have it a little muddled then have a clogged pump, which I've had before and totally sucks. Heck if its muddled too much for you I'd add just a tad more hops .

Do you think using bags reduces the hop flavor and aroma? I used bags before, but felt like my late additions weren’t coming through. That’s why I bought the hopstopper. After using it I have noticed that hop flavor and aroma does come through more. I like to let the hops roam free in the wort, but I need to find a solution to minimize trub as well.

I’ve tried whirlpooling but apparently I don’t know the proper technique. It never forms a good cone in the pot. I’m doing it manually, maybe I need one of those whirlpool paddles that hook onto a drill.
I brew lots of NEIPAs, haven't noticed any lack of hop flavor and aroma or lack of bitterness. These are 5.5 gallon batches in an 8 gallon induction powered kettle.

The hop bags I use are fairly large (9x22"), roomy, thick material with a fine mesh (LD Carlson). Only some fine dust makes it out which settles with the kettle trub.

I use about 4 oz of hops max (mostly pellets but sometimes flowers) in each bag. I 'massage' them using a (wooden) cooking paddle during the boil every 3-5 minutes to refresh the wort inside for better extraction. For the same reason, I also lift/drain them (without splashing) every 5-10 minutes. They're held to one of the kettle handles with a bulldog clip. I can still close the lid during chilling and whirlpooling.

A few years ago I built a 10-12" 'hop taco' very similar to your hop stopper, but without the divot in the middle and a much lower profile. Although it worked the best of everything else I had tried before, when pumping, even at lower rates, hop matter still sucked tightly against the mesh after a while, restricting or even stopping flow. It gets a green felt-like jacket.

Since I started using the bags, about 2-3 years ago, brewing (mainly recirculating and chilling) has become a true joy, instead of the bothersome chore it had been since 2008. The whirlpool and chilling phases work as they should, at full pump speed (March 809 pump) through a 1/2" bore all the way through, until it hits the narrower whirlpool nozzle to create velocity. My 'whirlpool port' repurposes the otherwise useless thermometer port halfway up the kettle. Glad to have found a good use for that too.

Using mechanical means to create a whirlpool could work, but if there are any obstructions in your kettle, the whirlpool cone of hops won't happen or not very well, due to friction.

I'd rather have it a little muddled
I don't think 'muddled' is the right term here. But I agree, use an extra ounce of hops if you suspect lesser extraction.
'Hop utilization' is generally used IRT to bittering reactions, so that wouldn't be the best term either.

Constant agitation, making sure wort flows in and out the spider/bags/basket/etc. is crucial to good hop extraction. If wort remains stagnant could there be some point where hop oil saturation levels are reached?

I know with dry hopping hops need to swim, being accessible to the beer, so the beer is able to extract the oils. It should be no different during the boil, which already provides a lot of agitation, but it's minimal inside the spiders/bags/baskets. For example, wort never boil inside a hop basket, unless you put a heat stick in it.

I've been using a Blichmann Hopblocker for 2 years now, been very happy with it. It never clogs, and very little gets through it. I run a pump and plate chiller.

Have you considered using a mesh bag in the fermenter and straining the wort?

I’ll do that or get a double mesh strainer. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best lol. The batch where I had to disconnect the hopstopper ended up with tons of trub. I was surprised how fast it settled, and how little it affected the taste and clarity of the final product. It’s done fermenting so I tasted a sample.

Makes me think that worrying about trub is a bit overblown in the first place. I’m going to do like you said and use a simple mash bag or strainer to keep the bulk of the hops out. What trub that does make it I’m not going to worry about from now on.

Anyone out there in the market for a HopStopper 2.0?? Lol just kidding maybe I can return it.

I just let my hops roam free. I whirlpool for 10 minutes post boil and just drain from the edge of the kettle. I don't have any issues with my pump clogging and only a very small amount of hop/trub make it into the fermenter.

I've been baffled for years on why people go to such lengths dealing with boil/whirlpool hops.

I just let my hops roam free. I whirlpool for 10 minutes post boil and just drain from the edge of the kettle. I don't have any issues with my pump clogging and only a very small amount of hop/trub make it into the fermenter.

I've been baffled for years on why people go to such lengths dealing with boil/whirlpool hops.

Yeah I’m with you. When I started brewing I used bags from day one, then I got the hopstopper. I was always under the assumption that minimizing trub was critical. This last batch was full of trub by accident, and it turned out fine.

I need to minimize trub somewhat because I ferment in a fermonster with a spigot. The trub level needs to be below that port when I rack the beer. But a simple mesh strainer or bag while I’m racking from kettle to keg should be more than sufficient to get the bulk of the hop material.

I blew $120 but at least I learned something. The same thing happened to me with secondary fermentations. I did them for awhile, until I let one sit in primary for 3 weeks because my carboys were unavailable. Needless to say the beer turned out fantastic. I haven’t done a secondary since and I firmly believe it’s made my beer better.

Yeah I’m with you. When I started brewing I used bags from day one, then I got the hopstopper. I was always under the assumption that minimizing trub was critical. This last batch was full of trub by accident, and it turned out fine.

I need to minimize trub somewhat because I ferment in a fermonster with a spigot. The trub level needs to be below that port when I rack the beer. But a simple mesh strainer or bag while I’m racking from kettle to keg should be more than sufficient to get the bulk of the hop material.

I blew $120 but at least I learned something. The same thing happened to me with secondary fermentations. I did them for awhile, until I let one sit in primary for 3 weeks because my carboys were unavailable. Needless to say the beer turned out fantastic. I haven’t done a secondary since and I firmly believe it’s made my beer better.

I use a Big Mouth Bubbler with a spigot. I used to have it sitting at an angle so that the trub would gather away from the spigot, but I don't worry about it anymore. When I "rack" to the keg, I just run some into a bucket until it runs clear (usually less than a pint). Even though the yeast/hop matter is higher than the spigot, it only pulls in the stuff that's right around it. With all the NEIPAs I brew, the level is pretty much always above the spigot.

That approach has the added benefit of purging O2 from the drain hose as well.

I used the Hopstopper V1 in a gas-fired kettle (pumped) and it was a miserable end to an otherwise uneventful brew day. It totally clogged with a third of the wort volume still in the kettle. I had to continually scrape the reachable mesh with my kettle spoon to get the wort out (pump was very unhappy with the whole ordeal).

I've never used it again, preferring my 6x20" 400 micron SS spider which provides no drama...

Cheers!

Agree 100%

Not sure what happened above. Couldn’t remove it.

I have the hop stopper 2.0 and I find it works perfectly, I do however use a pump with it. I had the hopstopper one and it worked fine providing you slowed the flow down to a trickle before the top of the hop stopper was exposed. With the 2.0 there is no need to do that.

I have the hop stopper 2.0 and I find it works perfectly, I do however use a pump with it. I had the hopstopper one and it worked fine providing you slowed the flow down to a trickle before the top of the hop stopper was exposed. With the 2.0 there is no need to do that.

Yeah I’m thinking it needs some power to suck the wort through. I’m an apartment brewer so adding a pump is another piece of equipment that I don’t have space for. What I’m going to do is get a large BIAB bag, sanitize it, and put it in my empty fermentor. I’ll drain the wort inside the bag. When it’s done I’ll slowly pull it out, along with most of the trub. Simple, easy, and cheap.

Back