Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McLovinBeast57

Reaction score
Noob question..I'm really curious as to why certain types of hops are used for specific results. Can you use any hop at any time, or certain types used specifically for bittering, flavor, or aroma?

For example a chinook hop claims it's for early and late additions.. Could I use it mid-boil for flavor instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Any hop can be used for any purpose but they all have different characteristics that lend themselves to certain uses. Hop varieties have been tested rigorously to define their usage, some are found to have excellent aroma, others are found to have excellent bittering potential, still more are great for both. There are many compounds in hops that make these differences apparent (acids, oils, etc). If you aren't trying to nail a style or clone then you can really use any hop for anything.

Now if you want to nail a style then you need to use the hops that are traditionally used for that style. Examples: American IPA=Simcoe, Chinook. English Bitter=Fuggles, Golding. Pilsner: Saaz, Tettnanger. The list goes on, just research it here and on other sites, there's so much to learn

Oh to answer your question specifically, yes you can add Chinook mid-boil for flavor

For example a chinook hop claims it's for early and late additions.. Could I use it mid-boil for flavor instead?

For example: Arogant Bastard is a single hop ale. Bittering, flavor, and arona hops are all Chinook.

Back