Hops Transplanting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmmartin

Reaction score
I planted some hops last year and like expected from the first year, only had bine growth; no real cone output. I am wondering now that I have moved to a new house, is it worth transplanting the existing hops (are they well rooted to this point) to my new house or just start fresh?

Cheers,
Cory

Transplanting them wouldn't be any worse than ordering new rhizomes, I wouldn't think. The issue is how you store them from now until the spring. My understanding is that they need to go dormant over the winter, so I don't know if you'd just put them in the ground right now, or maybe in a pot covered in dirt in a cool place (like the garage).

I'd give transplanting a try, and take as big a root ball as you can manage to give the plants a good head start, verses starting from scratch. The up side potential would be worth the effort...

Cheers!

+1 to day trippr. Your 1 year old plants already have a significant edge in stored energy vs planting new rhizo's.

I was thinking the same thing. I really have nothing to lose by using the already one year aged roots. My thoughts are to maybe transplant them this weekend before the ground really starts to freeze (I am in the central PA area and it has been very warm up until the last day or two). I should also explain that I can still get them in the spring if I want, as the home is now occupied by my mother, so I can access them whenever I would need to. I figure if I get them in the ground now, once the ground starts to thaw again in the spring, I shouldn't have to worry about when is that actual "perfect time" to do replant...

Back