hops substitution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogyman

Reaction score
So i'm going to brew https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/blue-balls-belgian-wit-blue-moon-clone-24978/ tomorrow, but i don't have goldings hops.. here's what i have on hand:

perle
cascade
amarillo
liberty
willamette

which of those would be the best substitution for the goldings? .. i don't have the time to go to the LHBS before i brew tomorrow, so there's no chance of getting the goldings.

Willamette is really a Fuggles substitute, but it's the best choice out of what you have.

I would also say that for a 60 minute addition in a Wit the Perle and/or Liberty would also be fine. (I just like to be different.)

Willamette closest to styrian goldings then fuggles (not as earthy as fuggles)....so it will work great in a Belgian

+1 Williamette. For this style there probably isn't a huge amount and you are probably boiling 60 minutes (bittering) so the flavors aren't going to be as noticable. In my opinion Williamette should work just fine.

Back