Hops in the mash by accident...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bionara

Reaction score
oh dear! My first all grain brew, brew in the bag, and I somehow put the hops in with the 'mash' stage (where the grains are in the bag at 66degrees C).

It's been in about 40 mins and I just realised my mistake. Will this mind too much? What, if any, effects will it have?

I plan on continuing on in the name of science and alcohol regardless.

What you have basically done is first wort hopping. The effect will depend on the hope variety and its AA content.

If you only added an ounce or so, the impact should be minimal unless you are using some very bitter hops. You will get a bit more hop flavor coming through but it's not the end of the world and it definitely should not ruin your beer.

You may want to post the amount of hops you added and weather or not you followed through to add additional hops during the boil.

I'm using a recipe for Theakston's Old Peculiar. I've put in 10g/0.02lb Challenger hop and 5g/0.01lb Fuggle hop (to an 8Litre brew).

I'm about to start the boil now, which should see this amount of hops added at the start, and then a further 5g of Golding hops in the last 10 min.

Thanks for you help so far!

There's an article in the most recent issue of BYO that talks about the difference with mash hopping and FWH. You might end up with a higher perceived hop flavor but smoother bitterness, I definitely wouldn't toss it or compensate with more hops, if it were mine.

Excellent, thank you Brewsit. Should I still add the 5g hops as stated in the last 10 mins of boil (which is about 40 mins away according to my timer!).

I somehow put the hops in with the 'mash' stage . . .
Did you put them in the bag with the grain or into the liquor in the kettle? In the bag would be mash hopping. That will give you may be 20% of the utilization of boil hops. Not much bitterness, but might add a little to the flavor and aroma of the finished beer. If you put them in the kettle it would be First Wort Hopping. In this case you'll get full utilization plus some when calculating IBU's, but it will be a smoother bitterness.

you need to fish them out of the grain bag and chuck them into the boil.
With such a small amount, even in a small batch,you will not see any negative effects

Mash hopping won't give you bitterness, so you must add hops to the boil as usual.

I used to do mash hopping way back when hops were cheap, and I didn't really notice much of a difference between beers that had mash hops added and those that didn't.

But to get bitterness out of hops, they really need to go into the boil. If you don't have any 60 minute hops in the boil, the beer will be underbittered.

Excellent, thank you Brewsit. Should I still add the 5g hops as stated in the last 10 mins of boil (which is about 40 mins away according to my timer!).

Yes and if you can recovery the hops from the mash grist. If they are pellets (which would mean you can't) then I would be tempted to add another measure of the same bittering hops again as the recipe calls for at the start of the boil.

As already said, additions at low temps like 65-70C won't increase bitterness much but instead add a smooth aroma/flavour. If you don't have the bittering hops at the start of the boil the beer will end up too sweat.

If the extra aroma/flavour turns out to be to your dislike apon drinking you can age the beer and it will reduce with time, which given its old perculiar won't be a problem as it will improve with age being both high ABV and dark. Old P is also quite a sticky and sweet beer that imo could benifit from extra hopping.

Latest posts

Back