Hops in my keg!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianQuaffer

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I just racked the first beer I had ever dry-hopped to a keg. I mean I've dry-hopped before, but always bottled afterwards. First time I've put a dry-hopped beer into a keg, lol.

Anyway, I tried my best to filter out the hops (I dry-hopped with pellets) but I KNOW some hop pellet material made it into the keg.
Is this gonna be a problem later? Will it gum or clog up the lines or should I be ok?

Thanks!

You should be fine. We have dry hopped with pellets quite a bit in the keg before. Although we have found it best to dry hop with whole hops and do stick them in a bag we've used pellets with only a few issues. If you do seem to be getting hops stuck in the dip tube you can carefully blow co2 into the out post.

A fellow brewer, dry hops with pellets in his kegs. He uses a small piece of stainless screen cupped over the out diptube, seems to work well.

If it was just a scant amount of pellet mush that made it into your keg, it's unlikely to cause a clogged dip tube. If you let it sit cold and quiet for a couple/few days it'll all sink to the bottom. Then first couple of pulls might pick up a bit but eventually they'll run clear.

Cheers!

Oh, wait, nnother concern is that I slightly aerated the beer as I racked it. Mix up with using the wrong sized tube with my auto-siphon. Once I saw what I was doing I stopped immediately and switched to a smaller diameter hose, but in the meantime about a gallon of beer went in a little more bubbly than I would have liked. Blasted the keg with co2 and purged the oxygen...worry or RDWHAHB?

Back