Hops floating to top of krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyWarrior

Reaction score
Did an extract brew yesterday and woke up today to find fermentation had started, but there is a big green layer on top of the krausen that happens to be the boiling and finishing hops.

Is it normal for them to hang around on top of the krausen, or should I be shaking the carboy to recirculate them?

It sounds like you transferred the trub from your kettle to the fermenter. No worries. The hops won't add anything to your beer right now anyway, so no need to recirculate them. Just let the yeast do their magic.

It sounds like you transferred the trub from your kettle to the fermenter. No worries. The hops won't add anything to your beer right now anyway, so no need to recirculate them. Just let the yeast do their magic.

+1. The hop oils and resins have already been extracted/converted. What you are seeing is just the leftover hop break material.

After the krausen falls, let the beer sit a couple of weeks and all that hop material will slowly settle on the bottom of your fermenter along with the yeast.

I always boil my hops in mesh bags so that very little of the sediment gets into the wort, then I make sure not to let the sediment get into my fermenter, so I've never had that experience before. But I do know that a lot of brewers just throw the hops directly into the boil and some also put the hop sediment into the fermenter.

Should be fine, though.

As stated earlier....no worries just let it do it's thing. It will all drop out in time.

Relax bro....you are making beer !

:mug: cheers

Back