Hops expiration date

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosshedley

Reaction score
I have some hops (perle) that expired end of June this year, which I froze in Jan. Just got them out the freezer. Do people think they will be okay to use tomorrow?

I have hops in my freezer that are vacuum bagged and over 2 years old. Some may be getting close to 5 years old. Maybe I should start dating the bags.

I don't find much difference using them than using a fresh pack.

So I would say that yes it is OK to use them.

I have some hops (perle) that expired end of June this year, which I froze in Jan. Just got them out the freezer. Do people think they will be okay to use tomorrow?

Are they whole leaf or pellets?

I know that I we had a package of Citra Whole Leaf that was in date, but really funky blue cheese smell. Give them a good smell before you dump them in. If they are diminished, slightly, in flavor/aroma/bittering...think about what stage you would rather, possibly, go light on.

cheers,
Dan

I'm with @kh54s10 I also have hops in the deep freeze from the 2012 harvest. I used some a few weeks ago and they are as good as they were then. But definitely give them a good sniff before using them.

Next time store in a jar or mylar bag that can be either vacuum sealed or flush it with nitrogen (I think CO2 would work too, not sure) if you have that. Or squeeze as much air out as you can and fold the open flap over a few times and tape it tight to the body of the bag, so no air can get in. Air (oxygen) is the enemy here, so is excessive moisture.

Place newly sealed bag in freezer and only remove when you're weighing out new amounts, seal and put put back in freezer.

Ziplock baggie are not very good, they let air in through the plastic. Freezer bags are better. But Mylar bags, like your hops likely came in originally, are ideal. But most importantly, keep that air out, and keep (deep) frozen. The colder the better. Mine are at -4 - 0°F.

Or squeeze as much air out as you can and fold the open flap over a few times and tape it tight to the body of the bag, so no air get get in.

I use this method (using the original foil package), and then put it in a freezer zip lock, squeezing air out. Then I put several of these in a canning jar, and keep it in the deep freeze. This has been working well, although I only keep the hops for a year or less. I don't buy in bulk because I don't think this storage method is good enough for long term storage.

I usually buy 3-4 lbs of hops and just try to get as much air out of them and seal them back up. I buy from Yakima valley and the come in Mylar ziplock bags. Seems to work fine with me as long as you get as much air out as you can.

I use this method (using the original foil package), and then put it in a freezer zip lock, squeezing air out. Then I put several of these in a canning jar, and keep it in the deep freeze. This has been working well, although I only keep the hops for a year or less. I don't buy in bulk because I don't think this storage method is good enough for long term storage.

Excellent! Keeping them frozen and well sealed from air infiltration is the key. I've never seen hops in an LHBS that are frozen and the repackaged ones NEVER have a date on them. In a fridge they don't age as well as a freezer.

I do buy in bulk because I can get 1 pound for the price of 6-8 oz if bought by the oz from the LHBS. I know I use them up, just not always as fast as I envisioned. I have about 20 hop varieties in stock I use regularly (and a few not so often), so I can brew any day. Rarely I need something that specific.

Back