Hops correcting for recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmonty

Reaction score
I made a Blonde Ale using the recipe from the Brewing Classic Styles book. I put all the ingredients into Beercalculus.com and noticed the IBU's ended up being around 14, when the recipe called for a little over 20. I noticed this after returning home from the brew store and went ahead anyway. Not surprisingly, the beer could use a bit more bittering.

With the alpha acid number changing on hops, how do you compensate for it when you only find out when buying the ingredients? I want to avoid standing, staring at the fridge with hops in it, trying to do some calculation in my head.

Hope this makes sense.
Thanks!

Use the calculator on your phone. Just take the aa% X the grams of hops to be used. That's your base "bittering level" once you have that #, you can just divide it by the aa% of the hops available, and presto, in under a minute you've got your required weight.

Latest posts

Back