Hops and Head Retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsyDragon

Reaction score
i have read that alpha acids can aid in head retention. the more AA in a brew the better its head retention is supposed to be. assuming this to be true my question is, if i substitute a hop like EKG with an average of 5%AA for a smaller amount of Target with an average of 11%AA, will i have more head retention or the same?

If it's alpha acids that are aiding in head retention, then as long as the AAU is the same there will be same amount of iso-alpha acids and alpha acids, regardless of the mass of the hops useds.

If it's proteins or some other molecule from the hops then it could change.

That says nothing about what the ratios or effects of each major alpha acid ( humulone, cohumulone, or adhumulone) on head retention. Nor does it consider difference in the alpha/beta acid ratios or essential oils present in each hop variety.

Where did you read that alpha acids help head retention?

Not sure if the OP saw it here, but this was in an article titled Foam Factors: Advanced Brewing in the Jan/Feb 2010 issue of Brew Your Own magazine.

I'm at work now, so I don't have the article handy, but I recall them citing alpha acids aiding in head retention as well.

Back