Hops and Alcohol Content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

190Shilling

Reaction score
I forget the name of the show that was on the other night, but there were 2 guys showing a girl how to make beer. When discussing the bittering hops, the girl made the comment that those were the ones that controlled the alcohol content and the guy responded "That's correct". She later referred to them as "Alcohol hops" and the others as aroma hops.

I changed the channel when the guy started talking about the "fermenTAtor".

I have NEVER head of hops controlling the alcohol content and am curious if anyone else has heard this before or why someone might think that.

disclaimer: I did not see the beginning of the show, so they might have explained why they were using those terms, but I think it would be very confusing for a beginner to hear that.

One can have the best scripted show but when the cameras roll, everyone gets excited and say the darnedest things. I'd place the blame for that on a case of camera jitters.

They're clearly wrong. The "alcohol hops" are the leftover dry hops post use. I'm not the only one that eats those to get drunk, am I?:D

I changed the channel when the guy started talking about the "fermenTAtor".

The "Fermentator?" Who knew Arnold homebrewed? Oh, wait, I do. The only beer big enough to make it through the Fermentator alive:

040109_governatorBeer_vmed_2p.grid-4x2.jpg

Back