hops addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triplehops

Reaction score
All,
Its been a long time since on the forums. Love this place. I am close to graduating to all grain and have graduated to a nice kegging system and my beers are consistent and good (to others, i want a more fresh beer as i hope all grain will give that)
my question. I wanted to hit my east coast ipa with additional hops right before kegging and bottles.
Can one thrw in whole leaf hops (Amarillo) into the bottling bucket, let sit for an hour and keg away, and bottle. I bottle 2.5g keg and bottle rest.
I am also dry hopping in the secondary...
im a hop head.

:mug:

lb

Unless you can purge and seal up your bottling bucket, that sounds like a great way to oxidize your fresh IPA to me

Dry hopping will do more than that, I should think. It takes about 6 hours to extract the essentials from hops. Anything gained from that would likely be very quickly lost. +1 on the oxidation possibility

If you are priming your bottles (not beer gunning) and using smaller kegs then Hop the Keg (whole cones), and Make a Hop Tea for the Bottles. You could even use different hops on each for the sake of expirimentation.

Dry hopping will do more than that, I should think. It takes about 6 hours to extract the essentials from hops. Anything gained from that would likely be very quickly lost. +1 on the oxidation possibility

If this is true, how does a randalizer work?

they make really cool stainless steel torpedo shaped dry hopper, that is designed for kegs. i would try that, my buddy uses one all the time

Back