Hopping a kit beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mChavez

Reaction score
Hi!

I've got 2 kits left to brew before I go extract/partial mash: Cooper's IPA and Munton's stout.

I've brewed 2 kits so far and both hardly had any hop taste in them.
I've got some saaz lying around - would it be a good idea to boil some in 3 litres (so I don't have to chill the wort) of water and mix into the kit?
If so, what amount should I add and for how long should I be boiling them?

Thanks!

Some kits specifically warn you not to boil the wort because it 'changes the flavor'. Of course that's what you're trying to do, right?

If you boil your hops in only a few litres, you'll need quite a bit more hops than if you boiled in a larger volume. I used to boil at least half the fermenter volume with the extract kit and add hops to that. By the time you add the boiled wort with 2.5 or so gallons of cold water, you should have cooled it down pretty well. And then you don't have to add quite so much hops.

U could add them right to ur batch, no need to boil an additional 3L if u dont have to. And as far as how much to use per each batch, what is the AA% of Saaz u have and what is the anticipated IBU of the batch from the recipe/instructions?

Saaz might be good in the stout,but some "C" hops would be better for the Cooper's IPA. It's more of an English IPA than American. Theres are more into bittering,as I understand it. Look at my recipes for how I use extra hops with Cooper's cans. I also use a 3lb bag of plain DME with them in the boil. The recipes will explain further.

I'm with uniondr on using the "C" hops. Just get an ounce of cascade or similar and add them directly to your primary and let it sit for 7-10 days before bottling. It's called dry hopping and it's the best way to get a strong hop aroma.

And for what it's worth, a stout isn't supposed to have any discernible hop character. I'd leave that one alone.

Thanks guys!

I'm picking up my 40L boiler this weekend, but I won't have a wort chiller for another week at least, so I'd rather not boil too much of the wort by now.

When dry hopping, can I use a bag, so I don't have to filter the wort before bottling?

Please do. Save yourself a TON of trouble.

You may want to weigh the bag though so it sinks into the beer rather than float on top. Otherwise you have to introduce a spoon for stirring and dunking and possibly some extra oxygen.

What would be a good clean weight? I guess my old lead fishing weights are out of question here! ;)

You could use some stainless washers that have been boiled/sanitized.

Some people don't bother with weighting the dry-hops bag down. I suppose it's a matter of choice. I just prefer not having to mix too much. On the other hand, you could simply rack on top of the hops bag, making sure you wet it down really well. It will tend to sink a good deal by itself when it's good and wet.

That's the beautiful thing about home-brewing. Do what works for you.

Latest posts

Back