Hop varieties for dry hopping...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyClem

Reaction score
I have a black IPA in primary fermentation right now. We are planning to dry hop it for two weeks afterwards. The kit from NB came with 1 oz of cascade for the dry hopping and we'd like to add to this. My friend ordered 1 oz of the falconer's flight blend as well. I've read both of these are good for dry hopping but I'm just not sure about how they will go together.

Any suggestions on how to choose and mix varieties of hops for dry hopping?

Cascade and FF will go great together. I certainly wouldn't leave the dry hops in for more than two weeks if at room temp or you'll risk some overly grassy flavors.

As for mixing varieties, you can find threads on this, but it's mostly preference. If you like two different varieties, you'll likely enjoy the combo. Some varieties could get lost going up against others, though. For example, if you combine hallertau or another noble variety with something like citra or simcoe, you probably won't pick up on much of its aroma.

Someone posted about an experiment with dry hopping times and the results were that it was pretty difficult to tell the difference in the aroma between one with only a day of dry hopping and one with a week. I wonder about that but I really do think that you won't gain by leaving the hops in for more than a week and you might lose doing so.

I use cascade and falconers 7cs in my pale ale. Great combo orange grapefruit with a subtle subtle dank pine. Very subtle tho just the way I prefer it

I use low cohumulone%, high oil% hops. Some of my favorites are simcoe, palisade, amarillo, motueka, galaxy, mosaic, bravo, zythos. Other popular hops like centennial, cascade I use less in the mix. I've found that using the lower cohumulone, high oil hops allows much more hopping without harsh off flavors. I use as much as 4 ozs in a five gallon carboy for dry hopping.

I've brew this numerous times left on primary for 30 days at 64 degres when i put it on secondary i dry hoppedwith 1oz cascade 2oz ammarello for 10 days then in the frig for 5 days then keged it

I use low cohumulone%, high oil% hops. Some of my favorites are simcoe, palisade, amarillo, motueka, galaxy, mosaic, bravo, zythos. Other popular hops like centennial, cascade I use less in the mix. I've found that using the lower cohumulone, high oil hops allows much more hopping without harsh off flavors. I use as much as 4 ozs in a five gallon carboy for dry hopping.

What is your experience using Bravo for dry hopping?

I have 11 gallons of IPA that I need to dry hop next week, and I have Bravo, Citra, Belma, Cascade, Columbus and Wilamette.

My recipe used mainly Bravo for bittering, Belma (20 min) and Columbus and Citra (10, 5, and 0 min).

The beer is quite bitter as my 60 minute Bravo addition was aggressive, but the beer has a wonderful tropical aroma mainly of Pineapple.

So, I am curious as what aroma contributions Bravo would have to offer as a dryhop.

I planned Citra and Cascade for one batch, and as an experiment straight Belma for the other... There are so many mixed reviews and flavor/aroma perceptions for Belma I wanted to try it alone.

However, I don't want to kill the wonderful tropical fruitiness that I have going on in the brew...I attribute mainly to the Citra, but the Columbus must to paly a role in the aroma as well, as there was a considerable amount of them in the flavor and flameout additions.

Any advice you can offer on the Bravo as a dryhop, and a possible compliment to perhaps Citra, Cascade, or Belma would be appreciated.

Cheers!

I've used the Bravo several times in combination with others, but it's a bit hard to tell since it was a mix. Since it's a higher coho hop I used it sparingly. I would say it was bit more earthy, but still fruity, not quite as harsh as some other high coho hops. I dry hop with 4 ozs in IPA's and I used 1 oz Bravo each time along with 3 others. I would say use it for 25% like I did for a nice change of pace.

Back