Hop utilization when dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsmith1625

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just kegged a Pale Wheat which called for dry hopping 2oz Willamette pellets after vigorous fermentation was complete. I may have waited too long because I was at final gravity when I add the hops. I sanitized my Wilser dry hop sock and filled it with the hop pellets. I also added some sanitized marbles to help it sink, but the bag floated anyway. I tied off the bag and carefully added it to the fermenter while trying not to introduce much oxygen. After 4 days of dry hopping, I did a closed transfer to a keg.

All went well with the transfer, but when I opened the fermenter for cleaning I noticed the hops still had a ton of aroma. It's this normal? I have a feeling that I didn't get the full utilization of my dry hops. I can think of a few reasons why, but it's all guesswork. Any ideas?

iirc, it has been said by pro's that ~85% of the impact of dry hopping is obtained within a day - with the caveat that full contact is maintained. While I also tend to leave each round of dry hops in the fermentor for 4 days, I've had the feeling I'm chasing the tail of the dragon at that point and could likely knock at least a day or even two off if I'm ever in a hurry...

Cheers!

I always use free-swimming pellets. And gently flip the mushy pellet cap over a couple/few times each day.
I'm using 6.5g carboys which aren't all that friendly to bags, so I cold-crash the mush to the bottom (under light CO2 pressure) prior to kegging...

Cheers!

You want both extraction and dispersion.
I think unagitated hop socks suck in both departments.

I only use pellets (or cryo hops) for dry hopping. They get added loose and agitated 2x a day by means of a gentle but deliberate stirring while streaming in CO2 through the airlock stem. They're usually sunk at by the time I stir for the 3rd time.

What's the minimum dry hop time?
When in a real hurry, using the same method, but stirring 3-4 times in 24 hours, plus the 12-24 hours of cold crashing, gives me plenty of hoppiness. It's becoming diminishing returns after that.

I use loose hop pellets in the boil kettle but I worry about it in the fermenter. Clogged keg poppets and floaters in my beer are something I want to avoid. Cold crashing and gelatin would definitely help. Does the hop material pack tight or does it get stirred up when moving the fermenter?

I use loose hop pellets in the boil kettle but I worry about it in the fermenter. Clogged keg poppets and floaters in my beer are something I want to avoid. Cold crashing and gelatin would definitely help. Does the hop material pack tight or does it get stirred up when moving the fermenter?
It compacts fairly tightly, I never have trouble transferring or dispensing, even NEIPAs with 6-8 oz of dry hops. Just don't bump, tilt or make sudden movements with the fermenter (bucket).

I use a SS racking cane with a diverter tippy. Pre-prime with Starsan and start siphoning from the middle of the bucket, slowly lowering as the beer level drops. Tilt the bucket toward the end to keep the siphoning well deep. The trub slides forward, but doesn't mix with the beer on top. There's about a pint of beer left by the time I stop the siphon.

Latest posts

Back