hop trub leftover final wort issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubprocess

Reaction score
Ok so I have been noticing that after I started using a bazooka screen that I have a lot of left over wort mixed in with hop gunk at the end of boil. My pump gets clogged and cannot pump anything else through into my Blichmann Therminator which feeds into my fermenter. Because of the hop gunk, it seems to clog up the bazooka screen and when the wort transfers to my fermenter I am totally off on the amount expected. I am hoping to get around 5 1/2 gallons and am only getting around 4 gallons for final fermentation amount. I end up filling fermenter up with filtered water to achieve my 5 1/2 gallons

I use BeerSmith to calculate my overall brew sessions, is there something I am doing wrong? Is there an area to fill in BeerSmith that will fix this issue?

I would highly recommend using a hop sock or hop spider to contain the gunk a little better. I literally just paperclip a nylon strainer bag to the side of my kettle and it ensures that my boil is (mostly) sediment free.

Also, I wouldn't add top-up water unless you way overshot your OG. Adding water to your beer is going to make for thin-tasting beer.

I would highly recommend using a hop sock or hop spider to contain the gunk a little better. I literally just paperclip a nylon strainer bag to the side of my kettle and it ensures that my boil is (mostly) sediment free.

Also, I wouldn't add top-up water unless you way overshot your OG. Adding water to your beer is going to make for thin-tasting beer.

I only add water so that it hits my OG.. I am all about keeping my OG in check.

I also saw this thread on a similar topic.. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-way-control-pellet-hop-gunk-352293/

I was just curious if this takes away from the overall hop flavors at all. It seems that a 200 or 300 micron filter would do the job

Anyone know where I could adjust the wort loss due to high hop trub in Beersmith? I brew a lot of IPAs and have had this problem a lot lately.

Anyone know where I could adjust the wort loss due to high hop trub in Beersmith? I brew a lot of IPAs and have had this problem a lot lately.
In BeerSmith2 you can adjust the equipment profile for your setup. Change the "Loss to Trub and Chiller" for the amount left in the kettle plus the chiller volume if it doesn't drain fully.

In BeerSmith2 you can adjust the equipment profile for your setup. Change the "Loss to Trub and Chiller" for the amount left in the kettle plus the chiller volume if it doesn't drain fully.

i saw that last night when i went back in the program..this is awesome

Back