Hop Trellis Designs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopkettle

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

We currently have 6 hop rhizomes and are going to be expanding to 12 this session. I have an idea for a new trellis, but I was wondering if anyone had plans for a Hop Trellis that was easy to construct. Looking for ideas.

Please let me know. Ted

I am also planting hops for the first time and am thinking of a flag pole which folds down with plants climbing twine around the pole out about 6 feet out in a circle. This way varieties stay away from each other and pole can be lowered for harvesting by lowering pole or main rope up the pole on pulley at the top

I did something REALLY easy for mine. I pounded about 2 feet of 2.5" PVC pipe into the ground, pulling it out occasionally to remove the dirt. I pounded that about 18" in the ground. Then I inserted 12' of 2" PVC into that 2.5" piece of PVC. I had a pulley at the top of the PVC pipe, and used bailers twine as the rope. Mine withstood ALL kinds of storms, except one trellis that I used a thin twine on. The twine snapped, but luckily my hops plants just fell to the ground until the repair was made. I did 4 trellis's this way for about $50.

hopkettle,
do a search, plenty of nice designs out there for your viewing pleasure... from pretty simple to WOW.

Pigroaster,
that is a pretty good idea. I have eight plants right now and just have them around the edge of my patio with the ropes going up and over a large tree branch that is almost in the middle of the patio. kinda creates a nice area to sit and/or brew beer. I like the flag pole idea for ease of lowering them at the end of the season.

pigroaster,

A friend of mine had the same idea. Two flag polls on either side of the row with one line hoisted up to the top and rope staked from the top down to where the rhizome is planted. I thought it was a great idea till the wife nixed the idea.

We actually 6 foot maypoles last year, but they died quickly after a huge storm came through. We documented it here if you want to check it out: Growing Hops and Brewing Beer - The Hop Project

I have another idea, but I need to draw up the plans first.

rekoob,

Thanks I will do a search.

Easy to construct? Depends on your definition of the word. The Hop Teepee is probably the easiest but you need to have all the same varieties on any given pole.

I have wire rope between tall posts with anchor lines running to earth anchors. Not the most trivial thing in the world to dig 4' holes and hoist 16ft 6x6's into place, but it works... especially after I extended its height by adding 4x4 extensions bolted above and beyond that... I have 12 crowns spaced on parallel 25-30 foot runs... 6 crowns under each run.

And yes, searching in the dedicated hop forum is likely your best bet.

Getting a bunch of rhizomes from my sister (as soon as the ground thaws in SD!) I'll tag along here if anyone has some "favorite" links that they might want to share...

Brewyourown4life,

The top part is on a pully system? That is a great setup. What are you covering the plants with? Is that grass?

Hey everyone,

We currently have 6 hop rhizomes and are going to be expanding to 12 this session. I have an idea for a new trellis, but I was wondering if anyone had plans for a Hop Trellis that was easy to construct. Looking for ideas.

Please let me know. Ted

You might want to search here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grow-Hops/
for info about a trellis.

I am also planting hops for the first time and am thinking of a flag pole which folds down with plants climbing twine around the pole out about 6 feet out in a circle. This way varieties stay away from each other and pole can be lowered for harvesting by lowering pole or main rope up the pole on pulley at the top

A to the wise about using pulleys..

I've got a heavy wire strung between two pulleys on 15' poles that I tie the twines to for each plant. There's a hop plant within 3' of each end pole and many in between. I though I could just lower the whole set of twines come harvest time. However, every year without fail the end bines find a way to grow into and around the pulley and lowering lines tangling them all up so I can't lower the support wire until I get up there and cut the bines away.

Also at 6' or less apart different variety bines will find a way to tangle into one mixed mass that you'll never sort out at harvest time, especially if they all share twines on one pole. They'll even find a way to get to each other if the twines are 6' apart all the way to the top. I would do less than 10' separation.

brewyourown4life, nice set up! you have any issues lowering that down? It looks like you have a pretty good span at the top. This really is a pretty good set up.

Starsailor, agreed. I have four plants on each side of the patio (all same type) and by mid season they have reached out and easy 6 feet to grab the one next to it. Or at least for the larger plants.

I start a few each year in pots, I try putting some in the ground but after a few months and about six feet of growth they seem to die. I am guessing its a lack of water but I can't seem to get them to grow in the ground here. every couple years I up the size of the pot they are in to give them room to grow. My large pots I can hardly move around. I think this year I might try to find some taller ones to see how that works out.

Here's what I did. I suggested to my wife that I needed roughly 15 foot pole style things in the back yard to grow hops. She laughed - not going to happen. I made this compromise - arbors, or pergolas. They now line my back yard just in front of the fence and stand 13 feet high. Not quite as high as my original desire, but not a bad 'tweener. Plus, she likes them. Furthermore, when they're full of hops, they look awesome. They are not so great at convenient harvesting - but they are pretty accessible. Also, they're really long - 24 feet - so I can plant several varieties in the raised beds beneath them and still keep them separate without much effort. Here's an early photo of them - more to come this summer when my hops are killing (and in Oklahoma of all places).

IMG_5930.jpg

IMG_5950.jpg

brewyourown4life, nice set up! you have any issues lowering that down? It looks like you have a pretty good span at the top. This really is a pretty good set up.

Starsailor, agreed. I have four plants on each side of the patio (all same type) and by mid season they have reached out and easy 6 feet to grab the one next to it. Or at least for the larger plants.

I start a few each year in pots, I try putting some in the ground but after a few months and about six feet of growth they seem to die. I am guessing its a lack of water but I can't seem to get them to grow in the ground here. every couple years I up the size of the pot they are in to give them room to grow. My large pots I can hardly move around. I think this year I might try to find some taller ones to see how that works out.

The death of all your hops planted in the ground seems a bit unusual. I've got some thoughs and ideas on this to share with you.

In my experience hop live up to their "hummus lupis" classification. They seem harder to kill than to grow. Although, growing them really well is a bit or work.

Your problem could be rooted (pun intended) in a few things, sun, watering, soil, varietal suitability, or handling when you transplant. Here's what I'd look at and suggest to address it.

1. Are the transplants in the same area and sun conditions as the ones in pots? The amount of sun matters alot to hops, generally more is better unless they get so much they get all dried out regularly.

2. Are the transplants watered more or less than the ones in pots? I'd try watering them the same amount. I use a drip system on a timer because forgeting to water one or two really hot days can really matter when they get big.

3. What's your soil like? Is it very different than what you putting in the pots? Hops are really heavy feeders. It takes a lot to grow from ground to 15 feet tall every year. They seem to love compost rich well draining soil more than chemical fertilizers or compact clay rich soil that doesn't drain. Look for root rot when they die which means the soil stays too wet. Also, get your soil tested so you know what you've got to work with and how to amend it. When I plant I dig a hole the size of 5gal pail and mix it 50%/40%/10% with the soil from the hole, compost from my compost pile, and commercial cow or chicken manure to feed them well quickly. I feed with a compost tea every couple of weeks up until harvest along with my dogs peeing on them every couple of days too. Every fall I then top off each crown with half a bucket of compost to feed the roots and protect the crown from winter.

4. Are the transplants only one or two varieties? I've got 8 varieties growing in my hop yard. A couple do really well and yield a lot, a couple just OK and yield less, but all grow into big plants. On the other hand, I've found a couple of varieties that just won't grow in my conditions and die within a couple of months or planting every time. So, try as many varieties as you can that suit your brewing until you find which ones like your conditions.

5. Are the young bines getting damaged when you transplant? Anything but the most gentle handling can damage a young tender bines such that it won't grow any more. Damaging young bines on established root crowns in the ground usually isn't a problem because the root system has enough reserves to repair the bine or send up new shoots, but damaging the few bines from a newly planted rhizome is different and can be fatal because it has limited reserves to to grow roots to take up water and nutrients and limited buds send up new shoots, all at the same time. I'd try directly planting a couple rhizomes in the ground to see if that works better.

Good luck with the up comming season and please be sure to share your results. :mug:

Thanks a ton for that info. I try to be careful when I cut one of the more mature plant and transplant it. I haven't yet tried the larger planting hole but will give that a shot. I normally plant in the same general area but not the exact same. As for watering I think I do the same but will look into the type of watering you do, I have been thinking of doingt hat for some time. thanks again for the info, I will post what I do as it happens.

i use the grass for mulch, it's was 13 foot tall in that vid, i added 3 more feet to the top after some storm damage. more vids on my you tube channel

Latest posts

Back