Hop Tea? - need to add IBUs to fermenting beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haeffnkr

Reaction score
Hello,
I made a Kolsch and Octoberfest yesterday.
Both 12 gallon finished batches.

I screwed up both recipes and had too much grain and my OG is to high.
I need to add about 5 IBU to 12 gallons, each, since my IBU is now to low with the higher then anticipated OG.

How can I make some hop tea extract to add to the 2 carboys and 1 sanke keg that has these to batches fermenting in them?

thanks in advance
Kevin

You might try HopShot, which is a hop extract using CO2. I'd make a mini extract wort, add the Hop Shot, cool then add to the fermenter.

Best of Luck!

Thanks for the tips so far.

I use the tastybrew calculator.
What if I planned for 12 gallons to get 5 IBU,
ie boil .4 oz of hops for 30 minutes of water,
then adjust my water by 1/12 to get down to one gallon
ie boil .4 oz of hops for 30 minutes in ONE gallon of water.. that would give me like 55 ibu in one gallon of water... so multiply times 12 I get the 5 ibu I am looking for and I use the same hops I started with.

I have the room to put in one gallon of water and it would bring my OG down to what I was targeting for also.... I think?

Is this a good idea?

thanks Kevin

It seems like that plan would work if you are also hoping to dilute down. I'm just wondering, though, what your absolute numbers are for your batches and if 5 IBU is really worth it. You may be trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. If you were already on the upper end of OG and lower end for IBU I guess it could be an issue. It sounds like we're also only talking a few gravity pts though. If you're still in reasonable ranges for the styles I'd be tempted to let them ride.

My Kolsch target was to be
1.047 and 25 IBU
Per Tasty brew since I screwed up and used 14 gallons as my final volume (which was actually my starting volume) instead of 12 gallons as my target....
My actual numbers were 1.050 measured and tastybrew says 18 IBU
So if I add a gallon of water with boiled 1 oz of Hallertau whole hops at 7 AA for 30 minutes I should get new targets of -
1.046 and 24.8 IBU

Basically the Octoberfest will be similar before and after numbers.
The current numbers are at 1.062 and 18 IBU-ish....both high and low for the style.
The wort sample was way sweet.

What you think?

thanks Kevin

Here is something different. Add 1 can of Mr. Beer American ale, diluted in a small amount of hot water. 1 can will give you 36 IBUs in 2 gallons = 6 IBUs in 12 gallons.

I'm not a fan, or use it, it was just a thought.

Here is something different. Add 1 can of Mr. Beer American ale, diluted in a small amount of hot water. 1 can will give you 36 IBUs in 2 gallons = 6 IBUs in 12 gallons.

But you're adding a bunch of sugars too, the OP is already over target on OG.

Hello,

I will be trying my 1 gallon water with 30 minute hop boil addition trick tonight.
Wont know for a few weeks if my experiment will work though.

thanks for the advice

Kevin

Back