Hop tea and ......malt.....tea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadYetiBrew

Reaction score
So, anyone out there been drinking a homebrew and wondered how it might taste with a little bit more hops? A couple of times I have popped the cap on an IPA and mixed gradually. But have any of you done it more scientifically, by making a hop tea and adding a bit? Seems to me like it might work.

Now for the silly question. I've got a Dubbel that I wonder how it would taste with more Crystal malt....suggestions?

(Max, think I should get my own login, or no? I'm kinda liking your 900+ posts.)

Addressing the hops: I've split batches and dry hopped differently. I also have some hop oil (Cascades) which I originally purchased to salvage big IPA that conditioned too long and lost the nose. I did 1-2-3 drop comparisons.

It shouldn't be any big deal to steep some crystal. I'd either filter it through a coffee filter or crash cool it, to get as much of the grain out as possible.

I suppose one way to play this out is to make an extremely over hopped pale ale that was mashed extremely low using only 2-row. It won't taste good at all on its own because it will be thin and overly bitter.

Now you also brew multiple batches using half 2-row and the other half a single specialty; crystal 10, then 40, 80, 120. Maybe some you skip the two row for Vienna and Munich and hop to only 5 IBU for preservation properties.

Theoretically you'll now have building blocks to blend at pour time. Sounds like a LOT of work.

Latest posts

Back