Hop Schedule Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkman15

Reaction score
Going to be brewing a citrus-forward IPA this week as a test batch for my friend's wedding. He'd like to use the following hops and I'm not sure how best to layer them for dry hopping:

Citra
Mosaic
Simcoe
Amarillo

This will be a "Northeast" IPA and was thinking the rest of the hop schedule would be something like:

.75oz Warrior (First Wort)
.50oz Citra (10 min)
.50oz Mosaic (10 min)
.50oz Simcoe (10 min)
1oz Citra (whirlpool at 170 for 30 min)
1oz Mosaic (whirlpool at 170 for 30 min)
1oz Simcoe (whirlpool at 170 for 30 min)
1oz Amarillo (whirlpool at 170 for 30 min)

Normally for a dry hop, I'll do somewhere between 5-6oz for a 5 gallon batch. If just using 2, I'll usually pick one that I want to be a little more dominant and give it the extra oz (2oz Mosaic, 3oz Citra, for example) but I've never tried to use this many. Any advice on how these all play together? Maybe I skip one entirely?

Thanks in advance...

you could literally dump it all in a bowl and use the mixture and even portions and it would be good. Those are all typical IPA hops

But depending on your experience with each of them, you can tailor it to your tastes or what flavors you want to bring out.

Like citra for example would be my favorite for how it smells so id concentrate it more on dry hopping

amarillo, I love the taste but too much in the late boil gives me a metallic flavor that I try to avoid so I wont add it before the wort cools to around 180

simcoe seems to be more piney the later you add it so id use it more upfront to get its fruity flavors.

all just examples though

mosaic + citra = yum

I like Simcoe, it should play well with the others

never used Amarillo, so if I had to drop one, that would be it. but it works with Simcoe in a few local commercial beers I like

Of the 4, Mosaic is the outlier in terms of flavor and aroma, giving it the most instantly identifiable flavor. It can easily take over a beer. That's my biggest gripe with that hop is that too many commercial brewers bomb their beer with it, and it overpowers whatever other nuances there might be in the beer. So try to balance them if you use them.

I love the combination of Citra and Simcoe. I also love the flavor of Amarillos. Classic IPA hops, all of them.

Mosaic is an offspring of Simcoe, so they should work well together, but if you're going citrus-forward, I'd downplay the mosaics. They don't strike me as particularly citrus-y. More stone-fruity/bubble gummy to my palate (which is, of course, different from yours).

Just a thought...the other parent of Mosaic is Nugget. Have you considered using Nugget as your FWH's instead of Warrior? It might integrate the mosaic flavor and aroma a little more than the Warrior.

I think if it were my beer, I'd go with 2 oz each of Citra and Amarillo and 1 oz each of Simcoe and Mosaic for the dry hop.

Just a thought...the other parent of Mosaic is Nugget. Have you considered using Nugget as your FWH's instead of Warrior? It might integrate the mosaic flavor and aroma a little more than the Warrior.

nugget for bittering, mosaic and citra for flavor and aroma = Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA

very tasty beer. even my clone version is tasty

that's how good those hops are together

for a NE version, bottle with trub and hop gunk ;)

Latest posts

Back