Hop schedule for Bitter finish in Altbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam01

Reaction score
I'm trying to have my Altbier finish bitter. Rahr's Gravel Road and Shiner's Old time Alt
both had a great malt taste at the beginning and then finished with a great bitter taste.

What can I do to replicate this taste ?

There are several altbier recipes that you can look to. I would use something clean and European (e.g. Hallertau, Mt. Hood, Liberty, Saphir, Spalt, Tettnang), get ~10 IBU from a FWH addition, ~15 IBU from a 60-minute addition, and ~10 IBU from a 15-minute addition.

I've used both FWH and normal 60 min boil schedules. Neither produce the desired
effect. I've tried Kaiser Alt, plus recipes from The Alt book from Horst.

Have you looked at your water chemistry? What yeast are you using? Have you written to Rahr and asked for the Gravel Road recipe?

Yeast is wy1007.

I've contacted Rahr; I can't get anything from the brewers about this let alone the recipe.

I've been working water chemistry. But don't know a good target. Dallas water is becoming unpredictable due to their second source of high mineral content.

Yeast - You could try experimenting with Wyeast 2565 Koelsch or White Labs WLP029 Koelsch. Each has a reputation for playing up the hops more than the Duesseldorf strain. Further afield alternatives might be Wyeast 2112 Steam yeast or Wyeast 1332 (which a buddy of mine liked for his IPAs because the yeast itself is bitter).

I love my hometown (Garland), but I didn't love the water. The only suggestion I have is to start with distilled and turn it into something like Burton water, again to emphasize the bitterness.

For recipe help, you might ask another semi-local brewery whose alt you like: Shiner had an alt; Cedar Creek has a smoked alt; Hops & Grain and 512 (both in Austin).

Back