Hop Schedule - Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConorO

Reaction score
Hello all,

Below is a prospective grain bill and hop schedule. I am posting this here as I don't have much time to make a final decision as to what hops I wish to buy/use.

13 # Pale Malt
.5 # Crystal 60
.5 # Biscuit Malt

Hops:

1 oz. Simcoe - 60 mins ~ 38.5 IBUs
.5 oz. Chinook - 15 mins ~ 9.5
.5 oz. Chinook - 10 mins ~ 7.0
.5 oz. Chinook - 5 mins ~ 3.8
.5 oz. Chinook - Whirlpool 30 mins ~ 7.4
1 oz. Citra - Whirlpool 30 mins ~ 13.6
1 oz. Chinook- Dry Hop 7 days ( or should Simcoe show up here, again? Should we just leave it to Citra?)
1 oz. Citra - Dry Hop 7 Days

This puts me at, roughly, a 7.2% with 80 IBU. I know both values are high for the average IPA and creep along the border between IPA and DIPA, but what do you guys think? Too much Chinook? Not enough of another? Please, "lend me your . . . " beer wisdom.

Depends on what you're aiming for. I've used them both but never in the same brew. My gut says the Chinook may overpower the Citra. So, if you want the Citra tropical fruit aroma/flavor, you may lose it behind the Chinook. Maybe swap out some late Chinook with Citra? Of course, if you want to highlight the Chinook with just a hint of tropical, you may be right on target.

The one ounce of simcoe seems like a waste of a good flavor/aroma hop, maybe warrior or some other neutral hop for 60mins and use the simcoe as a late addition.

It also depends on what type of IPA you are aiming for. This looks like it would be more old school IPA, bitter with a touch of hop aroma and flavor. The Chinook would be very dominant with just a touch of Citra in the background for complexity. If you are looking to make a more flavor and aroma forward IPA I would suggest a lot more hops. I generally dry hop with 5-6 oz in multiple stages and use 6-8 oz in the final 15 minutes and hop stand to good end. Again, it is very dependent on what your goal is and what you past experience on your system tells you.

Thank you all for your advice. I was looking more for an "old school" IPA as brewmeister13 noted - bitter with a touch of hop aroma and flavor. I brewed yesterday and, let me tell you, the IPA is certainly bitter (according to the wort, at least) and, to me, has a nice flavor. After fermentation, we're see where we stand. Do you think Simcoe could be used as a dry hop alongside the Citra, or should I do either hop instead of both?

Back