Hop recommendations for a hoppy lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
Making a ~5.5% pils kinda beer and I want it to have a nice hoppy kick but still keep the bitterness (and perception of bitterness) balanced similar to how a german/czech pils would be. Here's what I have on hand (have to choose from these):

Plenty of:
Amarillo
Simcoe
Centennial
Mosaic
Czech Saaz
Northern Brewer

Others:
1oz Comet
1oz Topaz
3oz Nelson Sauvin

I'm leaning towards heavy on Saaz and Northern Brewer because I'm afraid of the citrusy hops clashing with the "lager character." I'm not sure if I'd like that sulfury thing with bitter citrus, but input appreciated.

I just did a simcoe lager. It was light on the bittering and a bit heavier on the flavor and aroma. Has a nice pine tree aroma but not much pine bitterness. It is fantastic. I call it the pine tree lager.

I've made plenty of classic Czech lagers so I was hoping to do something a little different. Thought the NB might mint/herb things up a bit. Maybe 2oz Saaz and 1oz NB at flameout, and then dry hop with a half oz each?

I've made plenty of classic Czech lagers so I was hoping to do something a little different. Thought the NB might mint/herb things up a bit. Maybe 2oz Saaz and 1oz NB at flameout, and then dry hop with a half oz each?

Well, you listed Saaz, Norther Brewer, and a bunch of other, citrusy New-World hops. Then, you said that you wanted to avoid the citrusy hops. So that pretty much leaves Saaz and NB.

I think that Simcoe and Topaz could be nice, or Simcoe and Mosaic. Bitter with Simcoe and add the other hops late.

People are using Mosaic in pretty much everything these days. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work in a hoppy lager. I would lean more on the dry hop though, considering the extended lagering fermentation time

Well, you listed Saaz, Norther Brewer, and a bunch of other, citrusy New-World hops. Then, you said that you wanted to avoid the citrusy hops. So that pretty much leaves Saaz and NB.

I think that Simcoe and Topaz could be nice, or Simcoe and Mosaic. Bitter with Simcoe and add the other hops late.

Point taken - I'm hoping somebody chimes in with some experience with American hops in a lager to give me an idea what to expect.

I expect this beer to fully ferment in about 8-10 days, and then another week of diacetyl/sulfur resting, so it will be consumed around Chrimbus

dont forget to think about what the yeast. in something as delicate as a light lager i would also be conscious of what sort of flavor profile is coming off the yeast. especially if your strain gives a lot of fruity esters, and then you decide to add a nelson/mosiac, etc on top of it. alot easier to throw a lager off balance.

realistically you need to refine your concept/idea a bit more. you want the bitterness of a continental pilsner-- but what about hop flavors?

you want a fruity tropical flavor? mosiac, nelson, amarillo etc.

west coast/american? centennial and probly the simcoe

european? saaz and NB.

mash low, ferment low, give it time to crash/clear up.

Back