Hop Matter in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
All,

I brewed a scotch ale, and I did a couple of things differently that I normally do. First, I didn't use a hop sock during the boil and second I used Irish Moss. These are the only two things that I did different from my normal routine. (Normally I use hop socks and no irish moss.)

The beer has been in the keg for almost 3 weeks, and I drew a glass a couple of days ago. I noticed floaties in it which I never have. It looks like it could've been hops. I used pellets. From what I'm reading, these probably won't fall out, but I'm wondering if it's because I didn't use hop socks. I've never had this happen before, but I want to make sure whatever I did I don't do again...

Thanks!

What is your setup/process? I like the outcome of not containing my hops, but have to use caution bc I can clog up my plate chiller when I utilize a bunch a hops in a brew. I do whirlpool, but that doesn't stop 100% of the matter.

Even so, I've never had a brew with particulates in the end product. One thing you could do is get some panty hose, sanitize it, and filter the wort as you transfer from the kettle to your bucket/carboy. Honestly, I find panty hose an crucial tool due to its ease of use and cheapness. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm under the impression that's what happened. The hop pellet not being in a hopsock caused the floaties. I'm going back to hop socks...

I use hop socks also but I have found a stainless screen tube with plugs on each end. It is small enough to fit in the neck of my carboy and will hold about three ounces of hop pellets. I also have a larger on that I use to dry hop in my kegs. Real fine mesh. I have been toying with and making 1 1/2 inch diameter and 12 to 14 inches long sleeves out of fine nylon window screen, sewing the edges together. I have filled these with leaf hops and a couple glass marbles, has works great.

Back