Hop Head Double IPA lack of airlock action

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccpotter

Reaction score
I am brewing my 3rd batch of brew. The first 2 were EPA's and this is my first high ABV brew. With the EPAs the airlock went crazy after 2 days and with this IPA batch the airlock went bananas for the first day (could have been settling or something) and I have not seen it bubble for the last 2 days. Should I worry? Should I consider adding more yeast. I am on day 4 now. This is a link the the kit that I am using
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/hop-head-double-ipa.html

Never worry about the airlock activity Always rely on the gravoty reading like my fellow Texas says.

I have a fermentation bucket that never has airlock activity as there must be some sort of small leak where the CO2 escapes. No big deal. I check the gravity after 7 days, maybe after 14 days, and low and behold it has fermented nicely down to 1.010 or lower. The airlock is only an indicator. You might have a small crack in it, maybe a worn area on your bucket where the seal isn't quite as tight, many things.

A gravity ready after 7-14 days is the answer.

Try taking a gravity reading. I've had rapid fermentation with some ale yeasts, haven't used that one though.

Hey ccpotter, what part of the city are you in?

I'm planning on brewing that kit next (as soon as I'm able to clear some time) and looking at what they specify the OG to be I'd be surprised if fermentation was already done unless you were running at a warmer temperature. I got the Wyeast Activator option with that kit, gonna try that rather than the dry yeast.

As has been mentioned, your best indicator is going to be a hydrometer reading, preferably a couple of consecutive days worth to indicate if your gravity is dropping.

Happy brewing!

Back