Hop Flavor Vs Bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WileECoyote

Reaction score
Hello, When you have a Hop that you use in a recipe, and the AA value changes significantly, lets say the AA value is cut from 10.0 down to 5.0,
to keep you hop bitterness value the same in that recipe you should double the amount of hops (more or less) in your recipe.

My question is ? will doubling the hops to maintain the proper amount of bitterness also double the hop flavor ?

Essentially throwing the recipe flavor balance way off ?

Im guessing this question might be subjective to when the hops are added into the boil.

Thanks and Cheers :mug:

Like everything else..... it depends. If you are talking about a 60 minute addition, then the flavor change will be minimal. If you are talking about a 5 minute addition, then the flavor change would be huge.

so.... just doubling the hops in your case isn't really the way to go. The most practical way to deal with that issue is to keep all the of the additions ins the 15-0 minute range constant no matter what the AA change. That way the flavor profiles stays the same. Instead, adjust the 60 minute addition to make up for any IBU difference.

eg if your recipe calls for 20 IBU's from flavor and aroma hops in the 15-0 minute range, but you only are going to get 10 IBU based on the actual hops you are using, then you can up your 60 minute hop addition so that it provides the 10 extra IBU you need.

Like everything else..... it depends. If you are talking about a 60 minute addition, then the flavor change will be minimal. If you are talking about a 5 minute addition, then the flavor change would be huge.

so.... just doubling the hops in your case isn't really the way to go. The most practical way to deal with that issue is to keep all the of the additions ins the 15-0 minute range constant no matter what the AA change. That way the flavor profiles stays the same. Instead, adjust the 60 minute addition to make up for any IBU difference.

eg if your recipe calls for 20 IBU's from flavor and aroma hops in the 15-0 minute range, but you only are going to get 10 IBU based on the actual hops you are using, then you can up your 60 minute hop addition so that it provides the 10 extra IBU you need.

Thanks bill, Great reply ! your explanation is exactly what I have been doing for years without ever asking about it, and I have not really seen any discussion covering this topic about hops, I have to admit I haven't done a search ether, and wanted to bring this topic up, more for the beginner brewers in the Forum !

Cheers !:mug:

Back