Hop debree in wild yeast jar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lushife

Reaction score
On Friday night I made some hopped starter to try and get some wild yeast. After the boil I poured it in a quart Mason jar. After sitting in the jar for a little bit I notice a lot of junk on the bottom. I decanted the the clear wort and reboiled. I discarded what was left in the jar and cleaned it out. After I reboiled and let the wort cool a little in the jar there was still some stuff left in the bottom but much less. Anyway, I put the jar overnight under a raspberry bush and it looks like I caught something.

My main concern right now is that hop material. Will it cause problems? Is there an easy way to get rid of it after the jar ferments out?

Thanks for any help

I don't think it should matter. The yeasties are still going to consume sugar from the wort and propagate. After a few days I would wash the yeast and discard everything except the newly salvaged yeast and beging building your captured yeast into a viable pitching volume.

Back